Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,484 Posts
Bob. You are reading my mind again!

I have been working my way through Joshua's Elastic band period CD, Momentum during the last couple months as an exercise in playing jazz-funk for a group I front , called SOULCATCHER.

I have not begun working on his straight jazz licks yet but yeah what a challenge.

Thanks for the thread.

B

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Interesting lesson and nice lick. Took a bit but now got it under the fingers - my first Redman lick ever. Many thanks Bob!

Fooled around with MuseScore for the first time, and managed to notate this lick for Bb and Eb saxes, so I attach it here for the convenience of those who are too lazy to lift the lick off the clip (which is highly recommended to do). Happy playing.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Interesting lesson and nice lick. Took a bit but now got it under the fingers - my first Redman lick ever. Many thanks!
The point of Bob's lesson is NOT the Josh Redman lick, but rather the things that you should do and keep in mind when practicing ANY lick. I personally felt the lick was kind of trivial; on the other hand, all the information that Bob imparts about practicing is extremely valuable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally felt the lick was kind of trivial;
Agreed. Turns out the lick is not even a direct lift but rather something the student extrapolated/made his own. His words: “The lick is actually something I came up with myself inspired by Joshua Redman’s song 'Shut your mouth', it is only the bluesy part that I stole from Joshua that he plays around 2:04 in his solo.”

It's about the process, as jlima points out.

How you do anything is how you do everything.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Agreed. Turns out the lick is not even a direct lift but rather something the student extrapolated/made his own. His words: “The lick is actually something I came up with myself inspired by Joshua Redman’s song 'Shut your mouth', it is only the bluesy part that I stole from Joshua that he plays around 2:04 in his solo.”

It's about the process, as jlima points out.

How you do anything is how you do everything.
Ack, you mean that's not an authentic Redman lick?!

Of course the real lesson is not the lick itself, so in a way the lick doesn't matter all that much. But at least the lick sounds kind of cool IMO.

Interesting to observe that you helped the student work through the passage by making him play it legato, which seems to mirror the Garzone 'no tongue' approach that others had reported.

Anyway, it was a useful and interesting lesson, so thanks again for sharing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love the change in tone from when he's sitting down to standing up

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Thanks for sharing that stuff. I've bookmarked the page so I can go back to it after I get out of clarinet hell in a couple weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts