Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi hi,

this late weeks i'm being re-digging his music. I've rewind, with some Elastic album also Momentum. I started to listen is first albums too.

What are your thoughts about Joshua? what do you like/don't? Are you working out anything related to him?

happy jazz session to all:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Re: Joshua Redman - Digging is music

I think the Elastic album has some very innovative music on it.
I just about wore out that CD.
I saw him live a year or two back at Yoshi's, Oakland.
He is great. Sometimes I find him frustrating as he appears
to be noodling around instead of getting stuck in. More intellectual
than emotional.

By the way, try putting 'h' in front of 'is', as in 'his'. This will be
easier for us English speaking guys to understand..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think the Elastic album has some very innovative music on it.
I just about wore out that CD.
I saw him live a year or two back at Yoshi's, Oakland.
He is great. Sometimes I find him frustrating as he appears
to be noodling around instead of getting stuck in. More intellectual
than emotional.

By the way, try putting 'h' in front of 'is', as in 'his'. This will be
easier for us English speaking guys to understand..
You are right. I wrote it kinda fast so i miss some mistakes. My bad. Is there anything more wrong?

I really like Elastic album, and i'm currently working out on the tune Jazz Crimes. The melody is already done. The changes are really hard.
The Momentum album seems to be on the same vibe.
Why do you think his music is so intellectual?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts

Joshua Redman was the first jazz sax player I ever heard and his album 'timeless tales for changing times' was my very first CD I ever bought so I think I will forever be a fan.
This is my favourite Redman youtube performance:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

I like that Blues on Sunday U Tube post and Josh during this period, when he was playing on a STM and before he became entangled in his technique - honest, swinging, stretching, but reaching out and communicating.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts

I am pretty familiar with all his work up to "Freedom in the Groove," and I think it is quite good. Very expressive and a great listen. I also saw him live in about 1996 or so. Though good, it was a lot different than the recordings. It seemed more like he was trying too hard to play more lines and altissimo...kind of took away from what I always thought of as good, solid, emotionally felt work. The clip by LiAm84 is a perfect example, thank you for that. Even though it is Saturday, not Sunday. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

i'm not a big fan of that performance...to many "old" phrases (kinda same as licks)... to many for my taste. Good feeling though.
Is funny how his sound as changed so much....

·
3,116 Posts
I love his playing but he is the WORST clinician I've ever seen. I was at Stanford jazz last summer and I went to 5 or so classes with him and all he did was talk about how unqualified he was to give the class and how much of a terrible musician he is. Obnoxious.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Joshua Redman has always been one of my favourite modern sax players - he was one of the first that I really listened too and I guess there's a lot in his playing that I can personally relate to. FWIW I've never really found his playing all that intellectual - seems to me he always makes an effort to communicate with the audience and he can swing like crazy. I also prefer his sound these days to in that clip, although I like both.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Josh Redman is one of my favorite players too - I've probably listened to each album that precedes Momentum about 100 times each. Like Mike, I would agree that I've never found his playing too intellectual...he's more of an emotional player than anything. There was a great interview NPR gave with him about 5 years ago where he was saying "As jazz musicians, we often get too caught up in worrying about how hip our improvisation is that sometimes we forget how important it is to play a really beautiful melody." I think this sums up his sound fairly well.

Some people complain that his altissimo is gimmicky...and maybe it sounds that way to some, but if I had the control he does, I'd probably make my saxophone sing in that register for lengtly amounts of time too.

Interested to see what comes of the "James Farm" collaboration he's involved with right now.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In did he has great altissimo, i already can play very well jazz crimes tune, but not when he jumps a 8va. He plays altissimo like if he was playing middle register notes...amazing.

Regarding to his sound, i do think his actual sound has more to do with the jazz he plays. Brighter sound, the typical SBA core. But i can't say what sound i like more, this or the old one.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
I love Redman's sound on his early albums when he played the Florida Link. Perfect tenor sound in my opinion. Mood Swing, Joshua Redman, Freedom in the Groove. I loved that sound. The HR Link change was his choice but I personally think he should have stuck with the florida link.

·
3,875 Posts
I prefer the HR Link.

I think my favorite albums of his are "Joshua Redman" and "Spirit of the Moment: Live at the Village Vanguard".

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
I love his playing but he is the WORST clinician I've ever seen. I was at Stanford jazz last summer and I went to 5 or so classes with him and all he did was talk about how unqualified he was to give the class and how much of a terrible musician he is. Obnoxious.
I went to his clinic in Stillwater Oklahoma last year and he did the same thing. In my mind he was being humble and when I met him he was very helpful and kind. His new CD/Group is called James Farm, extremely good!

B

·
3,494 Posts
His playing is always evolving IMO.
Early on he played bluesy.
Then around Elastic he got all chromatic.
Then he got into that noodling bag where he seemed to just muck around
and not go anywhere (with a lot of skill however).
Big noodle starting around 2:50 here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ICJUFOJa2g
Here he is into a more traditional style (big fat sound).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDA1C9FK-XI
The time I saw him live, although I had several albums, I recognised none of
what he played that night.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I prefer the HR Link.

I think my favorite albums of his are "Joshua Redman" and "Spirit of the Moment: Live at the Village Vanguard".
Wasn't he using the STM on those, specifically on the Live Spirit of the Moment" CD. I prefer that sound, which I always thought was coming from when he used the STM.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts