Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great clip I found on YouTube featuring a "battle" between with a big band playing "Straight No Chaser"

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing this video!!!! It is one of my favorites. I saw it a couple of years ago, but youtube seemed to have taken it off the site.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,947 Posts
Wow. That would have been so fun to witness live. And how good did each of them sound in his opening solo? Wow.

·
1,404 Posts
These guys are great, but Carter's time seemed a little off at first, like he handed fully warmed up to the rhythm section. I think the stuff at the end is the best, where they both get to do whatever they want and play together as a duet.

Carter is on a Lawton and Redman on an Otto Link STM, yes? Interesting how their basic tones are very different but they're both able to summon a huge range of sounds out of their instruments.

Redman is on an SBA but what the heck kind of horn is Carter playing? It looks like an old vintage American horn but is that an underslung octave key?

·
Registered
790 Posts
bfoster64 said:
Redman is on an SBA but what the heck kind of horn is Carter playing? It looks like an old vintage American horn but is that an underslung octave key?
It's a Conn and it is fitted with Yanagisawa keywork. Check the clip at about 1 minute, you can see the left pinky cluster and it's also modern. The founder of the Dutch Saxforum played this horn when it was for sale in Amsterdam last october. I don't know if it's still there. I'll try and ask him as he frequently visits the shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have this DVD. Its called "Eastwood After Hours". Its pretty good. Carter and Redman both do a couple more tunes as does James Moody, Charles McPherson, Kenny Barron and some others. Its weird though, because througout the whole thing they cut away from the music and put little clips of Clint Eastwood's films in there. That part is really lame.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,220 Posts
I can't get the clip to play. It asks for me to agree to something, I agreed, pasted the clip, and it wouldn't play.

·
2,947 Posts
bfoster64 said:
I read somewhere about James Carter paying lots of money (several thousand, maybe even 10+) for his horn. Apparently, somebody took the body of one of the old American horns and then put modern keywork onto it. I think there was more to it than that, but that was the basic idea. I don't know if that's what he was playing in that clip, though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
HeavyWeather77 said:
...hmmm....

Both these guys are good players, and I really love Josh Redman a lot of the time, but I guess this context just doesn't really do it for me. It was probably fun, though.
I'm in agreement with you on this. Individually, I think these guys are phenomenal, no question. But I've never, ever gotten into the dual sax/cacophony thing on any recording.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I just did not see this as a cutting contest. I thought that there was some intense trading of lines in these solos.

It got a bit much toward the end... Just like a lot of big band features.

I once ran sound for a jazz festival college big band marathon. It started at 8:30am with community college big bands, and ended with the UNT 2 o'clock. 27 big bands in one day.

What was in common with their 20 minute sets? Start off with a fast, cooking tune, with a couple of hot solos. Next a ballad to feature the sax/bone/tpt/guitar etc. Finish with a screamer that usually featured a drum solo.

I guess it's just the nature of the beast, unless you're playing a granny grabber (AKA 'over 25' dance) or some such gig---and even these are getting few and far between.

D

·
0 Posts
Best bit was during one of Redman's stints when Carter mimes along with Redmans solo ;)
It's the shot from in front of the MD looking back onto Carter.
Very convincing.:D

·
Vendor
15,590 Posts
Man, when Jug and Stitt use to do the battle thing, Stitt use to get his *** handed to him. When you hear Sonny without another horn, he's usually killin;...but the 2 horn thing with Jug just didnt make Stitt look so hot.

I get that vibe here...I dig Carters playing much more than Redmans, and he has far greater energy and much more core and depth to his sound.
The one thing I like is that they dont try to step on each others feet...I find the playing respectful, where they both play with great consideration towards one another.....a sign of maturity.

I remeber seeing Bill Pierce and James Moody battle it out on stage, and both were very respectful and cautious not to outdo the other man. There's alot of respect amongst better players, and it was nice to see it here with Josh and James.

James is a good friend of mine, so it was nice to see him playing so well!

·
Registered
306 Posts
10mfan said:
Check Out The Recordings....
What are "The Recordings" in caps? Boss Tenors? Boss Tenors in Orbit?
We'll be together again?

I have a number of recordings of Stitt and Ammons, some from the studio, and some live, and I don't recall Stitt getting his *** handed to him on any
of those recordings. So I'm with sheski on that one. Sure, he had his bag,
and if you don't like it you don't like it, but even when Stitt was phoning in
a performance he seems awesome. On some later stuff I had, he seemed
drunk, and less than his usual self, but far better than most mere mortals.

To be fair, I kind of think that Stitt is a bit less combative with Ammons, than
he was with Rollins on that set with Dizzy Gillespie. And I think Stitt takes
that set too. But with Ammons, it's not just a battle. Something more.

I'd really enjoy a Dexter Gordon/Sonny Stitt tenor match up. Anyone know of
an available recording?

·
2,146 Posts
I'm generally in the Rollins camp on the Diz album. I guess I'd be in the Redman camp on this clip, if I were to take sides, and that's always fun.

Dr. John Murphy at UNT played a clip of Ammons and Stitt dueling from one of those records, and he prefaced it referring to Stitt "carving" Ammons on rhythm changes (or Cherokee, can't remember now). As I recall, Stitt sounded a lot better to me.

It's not like music isn't subjective or anything. Wait, what?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
YES!! Ive got a recording of Dexter playing with Stitt from the complete blue note dexter gordon recordings. Its interesting to hear the tone differences between them both considering their sounds are both derived from Lester Young. Stitt sounds very much in the Young vien where as Dexter has got his own thing going on. There both in my top favorite tenors list!

Just a quick question on the topic of Favorite tenors: has any one seen any video footage of hank mobley? Im allways searching on youtube but have never come across any??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts