·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
thanks i enjoyed that

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wow, -TH, nice post!

Can't help wondering if this Joonathan Rautio is related in any way to another Finnish saxophone phenom, Joonathan Rautiola. The latter Joonathan is definitely a rising star in the classical saxophone world!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AFAIK They are not related. They just share the same first name (Joonatan) and their last names are very similar but different.

Joonatan Rautiola (classical saxophonist) is my good friend's cousin and I heard him play at my friend's wedding some months ago. Frankly I've never liked classical saxophone playing but when I heard him playing in church I was really impressed!!! He's a monster player too!

Wow, -TH, nice post!

Can't help wondering if this Joonathan Rautio is related in any way to another Finnish saxophone phenom, Joonathan Rautiola. The latter Joonathan is definitely a rising star in the classical saxophone world!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not related? An amazing coincidence with their names, then. Considering how well they both play, I'm thinking of legally changing my name to Joonathan...

·
Registered
135 Posts
What a beautiful ballad! I think this is one for my IPod. :) Thanks for posting TH!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I realize that this post is old, but it's time to revive it. I discovered Joonatan Rautio while searching the internet for more Michael Brecker transcriptions. I found I believe a Master's Thesis by Rautio on the harmonic devices of Michael Brecker and that led me to looking up Rautio on Youtube. I really enjoy his work with his quartet and also with Ketola Rewired. Now I have a favorite saxophone player form Finland. Here's a link to one of my favorite pieces by Ketola Rewired:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts