Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Very sad news. Jon had just done an album with Colosseum band mates, mentioned in the above article. JCM were about to set off on a tour and Jon got taken ill with a brain haeomorrhage.

Colosseum II were also the band that played the South Bank Show theme tune which UK readers may remember. It was on the album Variations by Andrew Lloyd Weber.

Colosseum has been something of an inspiration with it featuring the sax player Dick Heckstall-Smith who I saw live at the very first Alexis Korner tribute concert.
Jon's next incarnation - Colosseum II saw a quite different band featuring a young Gary Moore as well as Neil Murray (Whitesnake et al) and Don Airey (current Deep Purple keyboard player - but he's played with everyone in rock!) It was more of a jazz band despite the lack of sax - a bit in the Chick Corea Return to Forever sort of style.

Colosseum reformed some years ago and it was their live performances that made me realise what a superb drummer Jon Hiseman was. I'd not listened to the drums as such as I was more keenly atuned to either keyboard or sax performances. But the Colosseum live Reunion Concert 1994 has some great playing on it.
Shortly after this Dick Heckstall-Smith passed away and Barbara Thompson stepped in to carry on the band, until her Parkinson's prevented further touring and the band played a farewell tour.

Jon played a fair amount of jazz primarily supporting his wife Barbara Thompson, a fine saxophonist, in her band.

There's a great amount of quality music there to explore if you haven't some across these bands. Check them out. - RIP Jon Hiseman. !

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
What a shock, how sad.
I worked with John and Barbara some years ago on a project recording Barbara's sax quartets with the Apollo Sax Quartet. John was a really lovely man and a total joy to work with. A wonderful musician, engineer, producer.....
R.I.P.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Very sad to hear this. Jon replaced Ginger Baker in the Graham Bond Organisation when still a teenager and went on to work with John Mayall before forming Coloseum. He was wonderful drummer,top class, equal to many big name American stars as of course was Baker. That era- the 60's spawned some of the best and most innovative musicians in British history-it was a wonderful time to be a musician before big business and accountants took over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts