Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, since September I’m the owner of a 2nd hand Borgani Jubilee pearl silver tenor in perfect conditions.

Fantastic horn!

My previous tenor was a Grassi Professional 2000, played for 30 years, which is a fine instrument, but the Borgani plays in another league.

After 30 years with a horn I was tired of it, so I’ve tried some brands; I was searching something different from the "Selmer sound", so I tried what I was able to try in my neighborhood: R&C, Yama, Jana, B&S, Cannonball, Mauriat, Buffet, some new, some vintage … none of them convinced me like the Borg. At the first blow I knew it was the right horn for me: the tone, the feeling, the ergonomics … all was precisely what I was searching in a tenor sax.

However ... The tone OMG! Big, lush, smoky but with lots of room to get angry if you want. It’s a cannon!

Now, after a 3 months long honey moon I’m sure that I’ve made the right choice (and now I hope I’ll be happy for another 30 years uauauahhh). During this time I’ve learned that this sax is very responsive to the mpc/reed selection, so I’ve tried some options; I think I’ve found a very good setup with an Otto Link STM 9 and Royal 2.5, which gives me all the versatility that I need and a lot more.

It's a incredible saxophone, I'm really happy :)

View attachment 248600

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts
Congrats on finding a great horn - it sounds like you are well-matched.

Welcome!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dr G!

Albeit it is an italian saxophone (and I live in Italy), I’ve never tried the Borgani saxophones before and, to be completely honest, I wasn’t interested … sometimes irrationally we have some liking for one brand and not so liking for the other; Borgani wasn’t my idea … I don’t know why

But I’ve found this instrument near my home and I decided to try it, without great expectations. That was the right decision.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,441 Posts
Congratulations! Its always great to find a sax you love! The STM 9 and Royal 2.5 sounds like a great set-up too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts
Thank you Dr G!

Albeit it is an italian saxophone (and I live in Italy), I’ve never tried the Borgani saxophones before and, to be completely honest, I wasn’t interested … sometimes irrationally we have some liking for one brand and not so liking for the other; Borgani wasn’t my idea … I don’t know why

But I’ve found this instrument near my home and I decided to try it, without great expectations. That was the right decision.
Setting aside bias and expectations can be very liberating. I played Selmers for decades, then found a silver pearl Jubilee (s/n 0409J) here a SotW from member Leon, bought it on a whim, and my path was forever changed. I think that was over 15 years ago, and have been playing Borganis ever since (sold all my Selmers).

+1 to 1saxman's comment - your choice of setup sounds like a great match for these horns.

Cheers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations! Its always great to find a sax you love! The STM 9 and Royal 2.5 sounds like a great set-up too.
Thank You 1saxman! Yes, when you find a saxophone that suit you it’s something special. I don’t like to switch often with my gear … I tend to stay with what I’ve, so changing the sax is not a easy task and I have to be really sure of my choice.

Setting aside bias and expectations can be very liberating. I played Selmers for decades, then found a silver pearl Jubilee (s/n 0409J) here a SotW from member Leon, bought it on a whim, and my path was forever changed. I think that was over 15 years ago, and have been playing Borganis ever since (sold all my Selmers).

+1 to 1saxman's comment - your choice of setup sounds like a great match for these horns.

Cheers!
Very true! It’s in the human nature to have some biases, but when you leave aside them you can have some surprises :)

It's not a club, it's a Collective.
You’re right ZootTheSim, I’ve joined the collective (see my signature) :)

congrats. is this a j model or obt (based on serial number)?
Thank You Manitou! It’s a 19xxx J model.

On the setup (clearly my personal opinion): I’ve tried the saxophone with my OL STM 7 and this was a good match; on the contrary, trying it with a Berg Larsen 105/2, not so much (these were the only tenor mouthpieces that I had at the moment).
The previous owner recommended me to try something more open, so after a first phase of settling I’ve searched a larger mpc … He was right! This saxophone benefits of a big piece because in this way it can give a more full and deeper tone. I’ve tried an STM 8 and a 9 plus something else … the 9 was THE right mouthpiece.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats Tommyk - I have a similar horn 19XXXJ Pearl Silver. It is remarkably responsive to mouthpiece/reed/lig combinations. I settled on 10mfan Robusto models (HR and metal 9*) and still discovering how different reeds change the sound dramatically. Enjoy your Borg adventures and welcome to the collective.
Dowshu

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You Dowshu, the 10mfan Robusto was a mouthpiece I was thinking of when decided to try something, because I think it is a potentially good match with Borganis … now you confirm that. I’ve not tried one because I’ve found the Link first (You cannot try all the many mouthpieces that are available nowadays).

Something that impressed me is the fact that every key has the serial number stamped … I don’t know if this is the rule of all makers … It’s only a fact, but impressed me the attention to detail.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
It's not a club, it's a Collective.
I have just unexpectedly joined the collective.
Acquired this pile of sax on the cheap. First SOP and first Borg. Needs more than CPR to be reassimilated. Meet the king of patina, “1 of find”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts