Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a Yanagisawa SN-981 nino through wwbw.com. James Grondin said when they order them it sometimes takes awhile!!!Examples he cited were 2 months,6months and 7 months. I can wait.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grumps said:
What are you planning to use it for?
Always wanted one since I have soprano through baritone. Will probably use w/ my sax trio(myself and 2 daughters usually ATB,though sometomes SAT) as a fun thing to demonstrate to the audience. Money probably could be spent on a more useful sax but it should be fun to have!!!!As a senior in HIgh school in '85,I used the school bass(conn 1914)in church w/ good results. Maybe a solo in church from time to time. Next sax I would like to get is a bass. I think that will take a long long time!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,493 Posts
Oh, they can be fun, no doubt; and it sounds like you've good plans for it. Mine is a black lacquered VI and I hold onto it only for value. I just can't fit it in to gigs very easily.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm sure you'll love it. I only have my 'nino for about a month and not a day goes by whitout playing on it.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bet it will be a long wait!!!!Most sites say 160 day wait!!!!WWBW.com will not give a date.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Hate to say it, but you could have bought my SN-981 a few months back. I sold it to my band's section leader. Was a fun horn to have. Get ready to tame the shrew ;)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wonder when Yani will make them!? I believe and have read this somewhere that because of their small size Yani only makes one type of sax at a time(selmer makes altos,tenors,baritones,sops all at gthe sam,e time on differant assembly lines). Ie one month Yani will make tenors then the next month maybe curvie sops then for 3 months altos etc.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my Vandoren #3 nino reeds. I have alexander(3s for me and 2s for the 9 year old)nino reeds on back order. I'm ready!!!! I will be ready for a long time(at least 160 day wait according to most websites)!!!LOL

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked the wwbw.com website. SN-981s are expected to arrive Nov 12!!!!YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Washington music got their sn-981. Can't be too long til wbw.com gets mine. Briefly considered getting a R1 rampone nino from sax forte but $4199 is alot for a sax that will not be a main axe. I get tempted by washington music's sn(price a little cheaper than wwbw/about $100 but really $50 due to the $50 gift card I will get w/ the rewards program )but wwbw has intersest free til jan 09. washington just has 6 months interest free.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talked w/ Richard Fowler today at wwbw.com. Real real nice guy!!!!He said Conn selmer is ahead w/ their Yanis. Should be soon!!!!I'm excited!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
You might want also try Legere Eb clarinet reeds. I found them easier to play on the 'nino. Although, the cane sounded better.

The R&C price is pretty crazy. O.k. for only the hard core 'ninoist.

·
Registered
74 Posts
tjontheroad said:
The R&C price is pretty crazy. O.k. for only the hard core 'ninoist.
if that's crazy, then I must have been out of my mind getting a Selmer...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MrMiyagi said:
if that's crazy, then I must have been out of my mind getting a Selmer...
Yes but you have a VI. The super 80s are $5295. From what I gather the VIs are better than the 80s in the nino dept!!! I hope your VI didn't set you back $5000.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
478 Posts
For all of you sopranino fans in the Buffalo/Erie/ Fredonia region, I will be performing a trahsncription of a work by Mehul, for sopranino and contrabass saxophone Nov 10 as part of the Rascher Festival at SUNY Fredonia. This is a work that was played for Henry Cowell, and inspired him to write his Hymn and Fuguing Tune for soprano and contrabass saxes (also being performed). I will be playing either my Buescher sopranino or my 1930s Selmer sopranino, depending if the Buescheer is repaired in time. The next day there may be some sopranino playing in the large saxophone orchestra reading scheduled.

Paul Cohen

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,361 Posts
I was about to sell my Conn sopranino, only to find when I got it out to play some sound clips for the sale page, I found it played so nicely I couldn't part with it. Its intonation also surprised me, it was way better than I remembered from the last time I'd played it. (I use a Bb clarinet reed on a Selmer E or Pillinger mouthpiece).

Pete Zorn plays a yanagisawa nino with Richard Thompson, I had a go in his recently and it is also a very nice little horn (almost as nice as my Conn).

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Pete for your insight. I was tempted to get a Rampone keyed to high F# but the $$$ is unreal for it!!!!Nice to know the yanagisawa is first rate sax!!!!Dr. Cohen keep on playing the nino and showing the world the REST of the sax family!!!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was a bad boy and canceled the SN-981. I purchased a Rampone R1 from SaxForte instead. Mathew AAron gave me a good deal and is quite knowledgeable about saxes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts