Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Good lord. That's kind of shocking for all us Buescher-botherers. But then I always did say that he'd get a pretty magnificent solo out of blowing across the top of a milk bottle. The clip was brilliant. Thanks.:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
It's one of these. They called it the Johnny Hodges model and it had the Leblanc system fingerings.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pic saintsday, when I noticed this in the clip (and after checking 3 or 4 times) I knew I read about Johnny playing Vito and this actually made me think of you're small collection. :)

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
It looks pretty. Have you played one? Has anyone else if not? I'm wondering how much is Hodges in spite of the sax and how much "well this is pretty much like my usual instruments, what's the difference".

·
Registered
473 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Good lord. That's kind of shocking for all us Buescher-botherers. But then I always did say that he'd get a pretty magnificent solo out of blowing across the top of a milk bottle. The clip was brilliant. Thanks.:)
Ah, but what make of milk bottle tho??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
BarrySachs said:
I played Johnny's Vito alto about 12 years ago. Frank Wess has it, and he used to bring it out to jam sessions once in a while.

It played Okay, but I'd rather have a Buescher.
Very cool. I'm curious what kind of condition it was in.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I forget..why did Hodges switch from his buescher?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
jacobeid said:
I forget..why did Hodges switch from his buescher?
I think by the time he stopped playing his Buescher the company was owned by Selmer USA and they had started to concentrate on moving student horns rather than pro horns. He probably didn't fit into their plans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts