Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For everybody who loves the various Johnny Griffin-Lockjaw Davis recordings like "Tough Tenors" and "Battle Stations" etc, I'd like to recommend that you check out the "new" release "Ow! Live at the Penthouse." It's superb in every respect, as good as anything they ever did together!

These are previously unissued live recordings from 1962 featuring Griff and Jaws with Horace Parlan, Art Taylor, and Buddy Catlett. The original recording was professionally done in conjunction with a radio broadcast, and this release is remastered from the original tapes. I think it's worth mentioning that the label, Reel to Real, is one that worked with the musicians' estates, got proper rights to everything, and spared no expense in producing the best sound and excellent packaging: even the liner notes are outstanding, including stuff like an interview with James Carter where he talks about the saxophonists contrasting styles and set-ups. I think it's good to encourage companies that do this kind of thing, as opposed to quasi-bootleg ripoff reissues we see so often these days.

Most important, the music's great. The arrangements are nicely done (check out the version of "Bahia" for example, a stone classic if ever there was), the band is super tight and swinging, and of course Griff and Jaws play their asses off. If you love these guys (and how could you not?) you need to check this out.

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.