Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do yourself a favor and check this out on you tube. It sure sounds a lot like " Tangerine ".:bluewink:

And I thought no one could swing like Dexter. Man you talk about a great tenor sound. I got to hear him live. Lawrence Marable introduced me to him.

That's when I said to myself I'm sitting at a table with Johnny Griffin. I actually felt it was an honor just to be in the same room.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,205 Posts
Yeah, there's just been another thread about Griffin. Top man IMHO. I wish I could have seen him play - never did.
Congregation is a fine album. He sounded great on the King. Kerry Dancers has a great fresh sound to his sax.
I should play my King more but whenever I blow it I'm aware of how I'm not Johny Griffin.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Yeah! One of the greatest and most recognizable tenor sounds of all time! He had a cry and a sweetness in the upper register, and absolutely the fastest tongue in the west...

Probably the live Prestige stuff with Lockjaw are my favorite JG records, with Lockjaw playing "backwards," as Bennie Wallace put it, and JG being JG; here's one example:

Lockjaw blows first, as he was wont to do; JG comes in a notch after the 5 minute mark, doing all the stuff that made him so damn great...

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kelly. Listening to it now. Nobody had a sound like Lockjaw.

Heard Lockjaw on a ballad earlier today. Smooth as ice cream. This piano player on here ain't bad either.

Ok Little Johnny just came in like a freight train doing 90 mph. Man you talk about control. This kind of vocabulary comes from years on the bandstand just as much as the woodshed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
The Griff is a Monster of a tenor sax player and musician period! i saw him twice at the Village Vanguard with Michael Weiss on piano and Kenny Washington on drums and he outplayed them solo. i bought him a cognac and talked a bit and he told me the same story about taking his Otto Link STM piece and drilling the hell out of the chamber with a Black & Decker drill to get his sound with soft reeds. very cool cat...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts