Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'll head this off at the pass.......I don't care about the ***** innuendo jokes.

I seriously don't know why more people don't talk about this piece because Troy Roberts plays one on tenor (albeit a large tip). I have one with a .105 tip. I've seen a few posts, but they were mostly jokes about the name. Mine plays exactly like I thought a medium chamber tenor piece should play (not like a production Meyer). I have a great Morgan 8M from the early 90's, a custom faced Wagner (beautifully refaced by Erik G.), and a HR Ackerman (possibly faced by Klum) from the late 90's that looks almost exactly like the Thomas piece. But the John Thomas mouthpiece is on another level.

The sound is so thick........so balanced...........so beautiful at lower volumes........sub-tones like no other tenor piece........so beautifully LOUD with a good air stream.......so efficient (in fact, I think I have to move up in reed strength)........so funky........so Trane-ish.........so Ben Webseter-ish......Where do I even go from here? I have never played a more adaptable piece. The facing feels perfect for the chamber. It sounds great with my Rovner Platinum, even better with my Vandoren M/O ligature. Sounds great with a Rigotti Gold reed, even better with a Vandoren Java Red reed..... I will try to record a video, but my current recording setup has a lot of compression. Sooooo, I doubt I can capture the louder side of this piece.

Really folks, this is a custom made tenor mouthpiece for $180 plus shipping (http://www.thomaswoodwinds.com/mouthpieces/prices-and-how-to-order/index.html). I don't know if I've ever heard of better deal.

Now, I understand this mouthpiece might not be for everyone. For some, it might be a bit bright. With a good embouchure and a good air stream, you will get a great, balanced sound. Right off the bat, my wife absolutely preferred my sound on my CE Winds The Sig. But with a bit of playing in different styles, I was able to show her the flexibility of the Thomas mouthpiece.

I've spent at least $3k on just tenor mouthpieces alone. I wish I had found this piece back in college when my tenor journey began. All I can say is "Here's to new start!"

later

JOel

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hello all,

I'll head this off at the pass.......I don't care about the ***** innuendo jokes.

I seriously don't know why more people don't talk about this piece because Troy Roberts plays one on tenor (albeit a large tip). I have one with a .105 tip. I've seen a few posts, but they were mostly jokes about the name. Mine plays exactly like I thought a medium chamber tenor piece should play (not like a production Meyer). I have a great Morgan 8M from the early 90's, a custom faced Wagner (beautifully refaced by Erik G.), and a HR Ackerman (possibly faced by Klum) from the late 90's that looks almost exactly like the Thomas piece. But the John Thomas mouthpiece is on another level.

The sound is so thick........so balanced...........so beautiful at lower volumes........sub-tones like no other tenor piece........so beautifully LOUD with a good air stream.......so efficient (in fact, I think I have to move up in reed strength)........so funky........so Trane-ish.........so Ben Webseter-ish......Where do I even go from here? I have never played a more adaptable piece. The facing feels perfect for the chamber. It sounds great with my Rovner Platinum, even better with my Vandoren M/O ligature. Sounds great with a Rigotti Gold reed, even better with a Vandoren Java Red reed..... I will try to record a video, but my current recording setup has a lot of compression. Sooooo, I doubt I can capture the louder side of this piece.

Really folks, this is a custom made tenor mouthpiece for $180 plus shipping (http://www.thomaswoodwinds.com/mouthpieces/prices-and-how-to-order/index.html). I don't know if I've ever heard of better deal.

Now, I understand this mouthpiece might not be for everyone. For some, it might be a bit bright. With a good embouchure and a good air stream, you will get a great, balanced sound. Right off the bat, my wife absolutely preferred my sound on my CE Winds The Sig. But with a bit of playing in different styles, I was able to show her the flexibility of the Thomas mouthpiece.

I've spent at least $3k on just tenor mouthpieces alone. I wish I had found this piece back in college when my tenor journey began. All I can say is "Here's to new start!"

later

JOel
Who is Troy Roberts? Phil Barone

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This video captures more of the versatility of his sound (as well as another young great Tivon Pennicott).

later

JOel

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
I have a Thomas Woodwinds tenor piece, very well made....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,069 Posts
I haven't tried a John Thomas piece, but I've had the privilege of playing several gigs with Troy Roberts and he always sounds absolutely inspiring and wonderful. I'm curious to try one of those pieces based on that alone, even though I'm very happy with my own setup at the moment.

Also, I'm a big supporter of juvenile humor -- I was raised on a steady diet of Beavis and Butt-Head, after all, being a child of the '80s who reached triumphant and joyous adolescence in the '90s -- and the term "John Thomas" triggers zero amusement for me. I encourage users of John Thomas equipment to stand and speak tall and proudly, regardless of potential synthetic innuendo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts