Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anybody know what is John Ruocco's set up?
I've just listened to "IF", a record by Myriam Alter and Ruocco has a tremendous clarinet tone! What a player! Great control, jazz language, and fantastic dynamics!
I consider myself a "bebop man" and I usually don't like tango music or yiddish compositions, I usally find them boring, but this is not the case, a very vital ensemble with beautiful compositions, a very lyrical approach.
I have changed my mind!

Other musicians are:
Dino Saluzzi (bandoneon);
John Ruocco (clarinet);
Kenny Werner (piano);
Greg Cohen (bass);
Joey Baron (drums).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
John plays a plastic Bundy clarinet, and usually a crystal mouthpiece, either Selmer or Pomarico. Plastic reeds too, and sometimes Forestone.
I studied with him for years. Amazing guy and player.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you warp x.
A plastic clarinet, holy god! Ruocco achieves a great tone and he is a very distinctive voice and approach!
Clarinet purist think that plastic instruments are good for kids, but not professional instruments.
We all know...it's the player, not the instrument!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Thank you warp x.
A plastic clarinet, holy god! Ruocco achieves a great tone and he is a very distinctive voice and approach!
Clarinet purist think that plastic instruments are good for kids, but not professional instruments.
I still use the very first clarinet I got when I was a kid way back in 1974. I use it for outdoor gigs when the conditions are not right for a wood clarinet. It is a Claritone, the Leblanc student model that preceded the Resotone. It plays and sounds great with very sturdy keywork. I use a hard rubber Gigliotti barrel on it. There should be no stigma attached to playing a plastic clarinet. As a high school student I just had to have a Buffet...............what a **** that turned out to be. I'm very happy I kept that plastic clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Thank you warp x.
Never mind the purists. I used to play a great Series 10 for years before I found a new Bundy Deluxe at a flea market for €35. Have been playing the Bundy ever since, on both concerts and CD recordings. The only thing is miss is the feel of the silver key work. Silver feels much nicer to me than the nickel plated keys on the Bundy.
Anyway, about John, I think he owns a few nice wooden horns (Buffets I believe) but almost never uses them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts