Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd record my tenor (my weaker saxophone) and play a piano duet of Peace on Earth. I recorded sax first then recorded piano. I am not a pianist so yeah, I'm just mimicking the Alice Coltrane delicate thing and at more intense moments do the McCoy Tyner heavy bass pedal thing. As for the saxophone, I dislike my tone on tenor and I realise it is out of tune (harder to notice when recording sax first). The playing is also pretty bad at places since I'm somewhat experimenting and normally play funk on soprano rather than ballads. I uploaded it because it has moments I quite like.

https://soundcloud.com/louis-atkinson-1%2Fpeace-on-earth-john-coltrane
Anyway I hope someone appreciates it :)

Actually, just recorded a much better recording doing my usual thing on soprano

https://soundcloud.com/louis-atkinson-1%2Fsalsa
I feel I've got to a point where my technical ability is good enough so I'm spending time working out structure and making lines more meaningful/melodic. Need to use more space though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Sounds good to me.

Don't stop practicing technique though. It's what gives you the tools to express yourself. It's the words. You make the sentences.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Louiss, yeah, I really like your style very much. Well, I agree with Sean, we're never good enough because there is always something that lies ahead
that we can use to become improved. Practice never stops, even when performing. That's a practice as well. We're just practicing performing.

I like we're your headed....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys :)

Yeah by practicing technique I mean the finger part, like other parts like intonation still need work, I'm just easing all the pattern exercises etc for finger stuff. By the way I've deleted Peace on Earth (sorry :p) just because in contrast with the salsa I can't bear to listen to it haha. My soprano is real cheap and I really like my sound on it whereas I've got a pro tenor and good mouthpiece and do most of my tone exercises on that and can't get a good sound at all. Either way what I recorded today is a confirmation that soprano is definitely what to focus on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts