Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a sax player, but what genius! Here's a video from 2015 when he was 11 years old. In the interview in the middle of the video, he says he is self taught!!???????!!!!!!!

Just ridiculous!

later

JOel

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,428 Posts
A great player...technically. I found it disturbing, as if he were a robot and could be made to play anything, no matter how...pedestrian and souless.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
482 Posts
A great player...technically. I found it disturbing, as if he were a robot and could be made to play anything, no matter how...pedestrian and souless.
The kid has shown real growth over the last few years (must be 14-15 now?). I have seen clips where his playing has evolved, and sounds more organic. It's not a reasonable expectation for someone at 11 to play melodic, coherent solos, but the fact is that he clearly loves the music, is shedding, learning the language of modern jazz, and continues to improve. I'm hoping he continues to do his thing and does not burn out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Souless????? He's a kid. At his age in the video I was still watching cartoons (ok, I still watch cartoons). He probably hasn't even had his heart broken yet. His command of developing a melody......advanced harmony..........rhythm..........is incredible regardless of his age. Two decades ago, I played a whole lotta notes. Now, my ear is so much better, and I play with much more patience. He'll probably advance like that in a matter of a year or two. You'll also see a lot more dynamics as the small muscles in his hands and forearms develop. I look forward to how he develops in the coming years.

Yo Shedshark,

I would rather hear your own opinion.

later

JOel

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
I have followed him since he came out.

Genius....and growing.
It is mind blowing how someone so young could get so much information and ability in such a short time.
All of the scales, all of the recordings to listen to, all of the transcriptions to do, all of the theory, and all of the time to practice.
It really is mind blowing to me how phenomenal he is. I can’t imagine anyone saying a bad word about what he has accomplished. Close your eyes and listen, and his playing would be considered remarkable at any age!

I look forward to watching him grow. He is our next Keith Jarrett, Bill Evans, Herbie, and Chick.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I recently saw Joey's live feed concert from Live at Lincoln Center and yes, he has grown dramatically since his debut. The concert included some of his beautiful compositions and a string orchestra.

He's the real deal.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Souless????? He's a kid. At his age in the video I was still watching cartoons (ok, I still watch cartoons). He probably hasn't even had his heart broken yet. His command of developing a melody......advanced harmony..........rhythm..........is incredible regardless of his age. Two decades ago, I played a whole lotta notes. Now, my ear is so much better, and I play with much more patience. He'll probably advance like that in a matter of a year or two. You'll also see a lot more dynamics as the small muscles in his hands and forearms develop. I look forward to how he develops in the coming years.

Yo Shedshark,

I would rather hear your own opinion.

later

JOel
I like the kids playing.

The negative comments following the posting of some amazing kid musician are fairly predictable. Personally, I love seeing someone absurdly young with amazing skill.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,312 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wow, absolutely incredible, it's like, ***, how does this happen?...life is amazing...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love Tiny Desk Concerts from NPR. He is 15 years old on in this video. I am still blown away.......

·
Registered
166 Posts
I saw him live recently at SF Jazz with Chris Potter. There seemed to be the same kind of symbiosis with their playing that I’ve heard with Chris and Dave Holland. They had a lot of fun and made some great music. Joey’s so great his age seems irrelevant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts