Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Re: Joel Fraham - he just keeps getting better!!

Yeah!!! Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts

I saw him via the stream on the Smalls Jazz Club website playing with Ari Hoenig a few weeks back. He was absolutely killing it.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts

Just look at Joel's fingers while she's singing. he's DYING to play!

I have to agree: damn!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts

Joel is one of my favorite musicians! He is a bad***!!!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts

He certainly does!

Hope he's playing out next time I'm in NYC.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

Thanks, drakesaxprof, and, again, thanks phannah! Joel is such a great player. Such a sense of melody and such a lush sound! I have only one CD... Joel and Brad Meldau. I really like this recording. Must get some more of Frahm.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts

Holy smokes! To answer the inevitable mouthpiece question:
Actually, I think the answer is that it doesn't matter what he plays on. He was playing on a Slant 5. Before that, it was a Selmer SS Soloist and he sounded pretty much the same, he didn't get the Joe Henderson/Rich Perry sound you'd expect from that setup.

Everybody should watch the series of videos that are part of the series Jim posted. He play tests a bunch of horns and sounds fantastic on all.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Im also a sucker for scat solos. thoroughly enjoyed this video...three times. :)

·
Registered
8,146 Posts

Reminds of the joke about the drummer that hit the lottery; "Now I can play without having to look at a pair of legs in front of me". Nothing like a chick singer to get in the way of a good band.
Scatting always makes me cringe. Who was the ******* that put words to a Monk tune. Sacrilege.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Reminds of the joke about the drummer that hit the lottery; "Now I can play without having to look at a pair of legs in front of me". Nothing like a chick singer to get in the way of a good band.
Scatting always makes me cringe. Who was the ******* that put words to a Monk tune. Sacrilege.
In most cases I would agree w/ you... but i think she has a great instrument, and you can tell she knows the language.. and she swings her a** off!!
I think she's great...but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts