Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,899 Posts
I have worked with Stan, a totally world class player who certainly did know about mouthpieces. Indeed I know he was not accustomed to cutting off the tip, so as the Ebay listing says possibly a failed experiment "For that reason it must be stated that I cannot be responsible for it’s fitness to play and so should be seen as a historical purchase at the bidders own risk."

Or maybe just teaching a wayward Link a lesson it won't forget.

Whatever it was Stan was not in the business of refacing, he may have don some wacky experimenting for himself, but was not taking money off people for doing dodgy refaces.

Out of interest on a completely side note, I believe in those days in England there was only one main reface as such and that was Bill Wrathall, an extremely talented craftsman who also made and "refaced" movie camera lenses for Ealing Studios. You needed to know a thing or two about curves for that.

As a reference for Stan's tenor and flute playing:

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
The words "failed experiment" are at least fair warning. Contrast that with BlackwoodJoe's "sings like a wood" (whatever that means) or "incredible head turner" (I'll bet it is) describing a $28 Rico Metalite M9 for just $120.

·
28,899 Posts
I posted above tin the hope there may be some respect for for Stan who is recently deceased (and respect for his family).

I'll say again: he was a highly respected world class player. He was not some kind of charlatan refacer so any such companions are way off the mark. Have a laugh at the mouthpiece, but please don't make a laughing stock of one of the best tenor players in the world, whoever did that or however Stan came by it have some respect for who he was and remember him for his great playing not as an apprentice refacer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
Its more odd that someone would be trying to sell it!

I dont want to even begin to imagine how one refaces and then brings to a polish a camera lens. That's just crazy complex!

I had no idea it was even possible and I spent my youth with large format complex lenses.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I posted above tin the hope there may be some respect for for Stan who is recently deceased (and respect for his family).

I'll say again: he was a highly respected world class player. He was not some kind of charlatan refacer so any such companions are way off the mark. Have a laugh at the mouthpiece, but please don't make a laughing stock of one of the best tenor players in the world, whoever did that or however Stan came by it have some respect for who he was and remember him for his great playing not as an apprentice refacer.
Pete, I don't think anyone is taking a swipe at Stan and may he RIP.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Certainly no disrespect meant to Stan here.
This was initially posted in order to highlight the seller of the piece as well as to have a laugh at the mouthpiece.
My apologies if it came across differently as it was not intended.

For the record, the seller did not initially have the caveat about its condition on his listing.
He has now added that to this and his other listings for pieces he is selling.

·
28,899 Posts
Certainly no disrespect meant to Stan here.
This was initially posted in order to highlight the seller of the piece as well as to have a laugh at the mouthpiece.
My apologies if it came across differently as it was not intended.
That is good to know, but I saw this:

Is Stan Robinson joe the Butchers Apprentice?
So I thought the point of the thread was aimed at Stan.

If it is the seller that is fine, but as we have seen the seller made a big disclaimer that they are not selling it as a viable mouthpiece.

My gut feeling is the estate have passed on Stan's collection of musical stuff to be sold on.

·
12,707 Posts
Maybe it is an unfinished experiment. Perhaps he intended to solder a different tip and baffle on the piece. Who knows?

I really dont think anyone in their right mind would believe this piece would play. Maybe the missing part was used on a damaged piece.

There is no way of knowing. If this guy could modify and polish lenses he could certainly make a solder joint.

The only thing that is true is that the person who buys it can be considered crazier than the person selling it. Perhaps the two deserve one another.

·
28,899 Posts
There is no way of knowing. If this guy could modify and polish lenses he could certainly make a solder joint.
Sorry that was my complete and utter side note about Bill Wrathall, nothing to do with this mouthpiece, Stan or the seller as far as I know. I was just adding a bit of history about mouthpiece refacing at time.

Who knows what it was, whether something Stan picked up as is, or messed with as an experiment or something unfinished. Either was there is no reason to compare with some refacer/butcher.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Re: Extreme reface !

It is so ruined that it wouldn't even make a good paperweight or doorstop. Somebody is actually trying to sell it?

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts

You have all missed the point. Maybe there is a new straight tip reed coming out in the marketplace, so all mouthpieces will need to be shaped like this from now on. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts

Hahahahahahahaha!

"Tip rail? I don't got to show you no stinking tip rail!"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts