Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I've recently been assigned to play baritone saxophone in a Navy big band, and own absolutely no bari equipment. Does anybody know anything about Joe Temperley's setup? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Member Andy Farber (barry sachs) knows Joe, I believe. You might PM him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Joe has 2 Conn 12M baritones and a Selmer BA he just bought a few months ago. His main 12M that he's played for almost 50 years is a #210k or so and is a relac. He plays this horn in saxophone sections and on the road with [email protected] He uses a Fla vintage metal Otto Link. I think it's #6. For small group, he's got a silver plated 12M with same-side bell keys. I forget the #, probably 230k or so. Joe had a front-F key put on both 12ms. On the silver horn he has a Link 9 that I think was refaced by Doc Tenney. Rico jazz select med hard or something like that. I haven't heard him on the Selmer yet.

·
2,003 Posts
Joe was interviewed in the Saxophone Journal in May/June 1997 and featured on the cover of that issue. At that time he was playing a Conn baritone #210,xxx with a Link 8* metal and Hemke #4 reeds. The details of his set-up on tenor, soprano and bass clarinet were also given.

I've got most of Joe Temperley's CD and really enjoy his playing. There's a great recording of him with Michael Hashim and another with Dave McKenna.

Rhys

·
2,766 Posts
Joe was interviewed in the Saxophone Journal in May/June 1997 and featured on the cover of that issue. At that time he was playing a Conn baritone #210,xxx with a Link 8* metal and Hemke #4 reeds. The details of his set-up on tenor, soprano and bass clarinet were also given.

I've got most of Joe Temperley's CD and really enjoy his playing. There's a great recording of him with Michael Hashim and another with Dave McKenna.

Rhys
Joe had only the #210k at that time. He got this silver-plate 12m in '98 or '99 and the Selmer just this year.

·
2,766 Posts
Is this Joe's BA and what is the mouthpiece ? Playing starts at about 4:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBH8hMB5YaY

Rhys
Joe bought that BA in London from an old friend of his. He hasn't brought it back home to NYC yet. It's the first Selmer he's owned since the late 1950s. The mouthpiece is a Florida vintage Link STM. He's got a #6 for section work and a #9 for small group playing.

·
2,003 Posts
Joe bought that BA in London from an old friend of his. He hasn't brought it back home to NYC yet. It's the first Selmer he's owned since the late 1950s. The mouthpiece is a Florida vintage Link STM. He's got a #6 for section work and a #9 for small group playing.
Thanks for that - Joe sounds like himself on the BA and that is just beautiful. He seems like a real gentleman in the interview, which I'm amused to see is tagged as "Jazz saxophonist Joe Temperley spills his celebrity gossip " !

I guess that may be an Olegature on his Link.

Rhys

·
2,766 Posts
Thanks for that - Joe sounds like himself on the BA and that is just beautiful. He seems like a real gentleman in the interview, which I'm amused to see is tagged as "Jazz saxophonist Joe Temperley spills his celebrity gossip " !

I guess that may be an Olegature on his Link.

Rhys
He had been using an Olegature. He's been onto the Vandoren Optimum lig for a while now.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I believe Joes BA was bought from Jay Craig. A fellow Scot of Joes, they have known each other for many years, and Joe used to borrow this horn when he got fed up bringing his Conn over here.

Jay played at one time with Buddy Rich , but has lived/worked as a band leader/ baritone player in London for many years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
1,159 Posts
I know I'm a bit late to gone party. But do you have any idea witch Vandoren Optimum lig fits the Fla Link baris. I want one but I don't know witch one fits.
I use the Optimum alto lig on my modern STM bari mouthpiece. It fits very well and I suppose it would also fit the Florida metal Link.

·
2,003 Posts
There is a really nice five part interview with Joe Temperley on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcOQEF0Zj7I

Parts one to three mainly cover his history and have some great stories about the people he played with. Parts four and five have some thoughts on sound production, vibrato and some examples of Joe's playing.

He seems to be playing his Selmer BA and Selmer Soloist here and making a great sound.

Rhys

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is a really nice five part interview with Joe Temperley on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcOQEF0Zj7I

Parts one to three mainly cover his history and have some great stories about the people he played with. Parts four and five have some thoughts on sound production, vibrato and some examples of Joe's playing.

He seems to be playing his Selmer BA and Selmer Soloist here and making a great sound.

Rhys
Cheers Rhys. Really one of the best YouTube interview /classes I`ve watched. He`s still awesome. Very insightful advice on tone production and vibrato.

·
2,766 Posts
It's a shame that sound recording doesn't do justice to Joe's sound. Not just the baritone but the soprano and bass clarinet as well. There is no substitute for hearing him live, in front of you without a mic, it cannot be described. The sound on the youtube clip is okay but just a sliver of the actual Temperley magic.

I was at the soundcheck for that concert, and I stood on stage about ten feet from Joe whilst he rehearsed Alabama. I can tell you honestly and without exaggeration that Joe's sound keeps getting better. I've known him since 1987 and he really does sound better than ever. Most players seem to degrade a bit in their later years but not Joe. I hope he lives forever.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts