Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just caught Joe Piscopo's show at the Ridgefield Playhouse on Saturday. What an entertaining show! It was primarily a Frank Sinatra retrospective with some comedy bits thrown in, but Joe surprised me with his musical versatility. In the second segment of the show, he played flute, guitar, piano, drums, and sax, each for one tune. He was surprisingly good at all of them! And the jazz sextet backing him was killer. Overall, a great show!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I remember one of his comedy specials years ago, he did a tenor duet with Arno Hecht, not stellar, but he wasn't horrible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
I work with Piscopo frequently. In fact I was gonna do the Ridgefield gig but my wife and kids were off from school. We went to DC for the weekend insted. How did Freddie do? (He was my sub).

I'm doing something with Piscopo on Friday in Jersey, with the 6-piece band. Sometimes we have a 10-piece and sometimes a full big band, it depends on the bread situation.

We gotta get Joe a better mouthpiece.

BTW, it's embarassing when a comic plays flute better than me. I mean, I suck at the flute, but you'd think I'd sound better than a comic who taught himself to play it one afternoon! Oh well.

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,792 Posts
BarrySachs said:
BTW, it's embarassing when a comic plays flute better than me. I mean, I suck at the flute, but you'd think I'd sound better than a comic who taught himself to play it one afternoon! Oh well.
Try shaving the beard, you may get a better sound.

(Look more like a mensch, shena punum!) ;)

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BarrySachs said:
I work with Piscopo frequently. In fact I was gonna do the Ridgefield gig but my wife and kids were off from school. We went to DC for the weekend insted. How did Freddie do? (He was my sub).
Andy -

Freddie was very good, but it's too bad you couldn't be there. It would have been nice to meet you.

Frank

·
2,766 Posts
martysax said:
Try shaving the beard, you may get a better sound.

(Look more like a mensch, shena punum!) ;)

I sucked at the flute with no beard and with the full beard.

I can't wear a full beard because I'll look like a Hassidic Rabbi.

I can't go without a goatee because I have more chins than the Hong Kong phonebook.

·
2,766 Posts
fballatore said:
Andy -

Freddie was very good, but it's too bad you couldn't be there. It would have been nice to meet you.

Frank

Frank, I get up to Ridgefield often. My uncle lives up there. He's the orchestra director at Ridgefield HS.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,243 Posts
BarrySachs said:
I can't go without a goatee because I have more chins than the Hong Kong phonebook.
I can't wear a full beard because I look like Wishbone on Wagon Train.

I wear a goatee because I haven't got a chin;):D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
hakukani said:
I can't wear a full beard because I look like Wishbone on Wagon Train.

I wear a goatee because I haven't got a chin;):D

So what, you're afraid someone might tug on both legs and make a wish?:shock:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,243 Posts
Joe Jazz said:
So what, you're afraid someone might tug on both legs and make a wish?:shock:
No, I'm afraid that I'll look too grizzled and chicks won't dig me as much;)

·
Banned
182 Posts
DTExpress said:
Is that a BUNDY?!??!?!?!?!?! Aaaargh!!!!
Wow, who'da thunk it?
That's it, now that I realize the key to commercial success as a saxophonist is to pump iron and play a Bundy I am left with 2 options: QUIT PLAYING, or work out and buy a Bundy.

And to think all these years I spent practicing were in vain, I think I'll start playing on a Goldentone while I'm at it too..

(seriously, I'm amazed at Joe's versatility.... envious in some strange way too..)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts