Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joe Perry on stage in Las Vegas this week with Aerosmith, playing the 1963 Gretsch Chet Atkins he recently purchased from me.
It belonged to his first guitar teacher and was his inspiration for learning the instrument He wrote about it in his book (page 26).

The two guys had lost touch years ago and I was determined to get word to Joe but I found out it is not easy. After some failed attempts , one day I got a call from a friend who knew his guitar techs. From there things took time but went smoothly.
I was able to put him back in touch with his teacher after many years and he's the one who took this picture, as Joe's special guest at the show.

I sell a lot of instruments, virtually all of them woodwinds so this was out of the ordinary. I'm just happy to have put the two old friends together and to get this beautiful guitar to the right new home. Even with 100+ others this is among his most highly treasured.

Up until now Dave Liebman has been my most famous client but, well... Still, if its a choice of seeing Aerosmith at TD Garden or Dave at the Lilypad I'll stick with hearing the horn players. :mrgreen:

View attachment 243966

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Very cool! Looks like Joe subscribes to the best principle there is.......play your best axe, wherever you play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
didn't you sell an SML to Emo Philips?

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joes former teacher Steve is a great guy and really phenomenal guitarist. He put on a mini clinic for me with that guitar showing me all the different pickup settings George Harrison used for various Beatles tunes and it was just dead on.
He even showed me the Herman's Hermits settings, he knew the instrument inside out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts