Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which are the most important Joe Henderson recordings? Or, if I was only going to buy three or four, which should I choose?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Joe Henderson in Japan is awesome. I personally love all of the Blue Note recordings, but it's Joe Henderson, so no matter what you buy, you really can't go wrong.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I'm checking them out on youtube as we speak, cool sounds. I found Canyon Lady, which I really like the sound of. Is there anything else similar?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,230 Posts
I am by far no Joe Henderson fan, sorry, BUT, thanks to SOTW, I discovered an album by organist Larry Young with great Joe Henderson playing, called "Unity". A killer, for those who like organic hard bop.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I'm checking them out on youtube as we speak, cool sounds. I found Canyon Lady, which I really like the sound of. Is there anything else similar?
Canyon Lady was from Joe's Milestone period during the 70's. There is a box that would give you the full experience of that output (which I quite enjoy). It's an 8 CD set that seems to be going for a bit less that $100.

Of course a lot of the individual albums that make up that box set are still available, including the "Canyon Lady" album. It's available on eMusic (in Canada it shows up as $1.96, but I think it works differently in other jurisdictions). All of the albums are good imho, I enjoy Power to the People from this period as well as Tetregon, really they're all good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
the state of the tenor, from the 80's is one of the heaviest albums i have ever encountered.... i've been listening to joe for along time and that is one fo the ones i always go back to... all the 60's stuff is great, some others that are my favorites are inner urge (by him) basra (pete laroca) cape verdian blues (horace silver).

also page one, is i think one of my favorite records, its so effing good.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Big Band
An Evening With Joe Henderson. just for this cut of Invitation
Tetragon

Dig what Joe plays on the bridge of Invitation. Modern Tenor started with Joe. He brought the phrasing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
Too many choices, but Mode for Joe and The real McCoy are two of my favorites. Inner Urge is also great.

·
Registered
923 Posts
In addition to the above-mentioned recordings, don't forget his later stuff as well. I particularly like his "tribute" albums to Billy Strayhorn (Lush Life) and Antonio Carlos Jobim (Double Rainbow).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,594 Posts
Joe's greatest hits were as a sideman and these two are among my favorites.

Song for My Father by Horace Silver
The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
19,061 Posts
I'll add another recommendation for "Lush LIfe".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011-
1,039 Posts
Joe - IMO get everything you can find of his... Like Bird or Rollins, if you study the music than try to hear as much Joe as possible...
Players are sometimes split between his earlier more aggressive playing and his later years - I really, really like it all but lean toward the later recordings '85 on... here's a discography:

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Henderson/JoeHenderson.html

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts