Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime in the 70's or 80's I remember seeing Joe play an unaccompanied version of the National Anthem on an early morning news program, It had to have been the fourth of July. Does anyone else remember this? God forbid they would have also featured him playing something with his group.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,716 Posts
I don't have access to the video, but I'm pretty sure that I saw this.

If I'm correct, it was actually sometime in the early 90's (I hadn't started playing saxophone in the 80's, and I wouldn't have known who Joe Henderson was then), and the show was "Good Morning America".

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It may have been the following:

Date: Broadcast May 31, 1993​
Label: [private video recording]​
Joe Henderson (ldr), Joe Henderson (ts)​
A brief segement shows Henderson playing a solo.​
I found this reference here. Note that they did have him on at least once more (about a year later), and that later session featured him with a full group, including Herbie Hancock, Christian McBride, and Abbey Lincoln.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,750 Posts
It may have been the following:

I found this reference here. Note that they did have him on at least once more (about a year later), and that later session featured him with a full group, including Herbie Hancock, Christian McBride, and Abbey Lincoln.
This makes sense since they hadn't "discovered" Joe until the early 90s in the U.S. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmichel,
Great detective work. May31 1993 was Memorial Day which make sense as to why he played the TSSB.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention that I may have been too quick to criticize Good Morning America, but the 4/4/1994 segment included vocalist Abby Lincoln. I'm only guessing that he was part of the group backing her up.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Forgot to mention that I may have been too quick to criticize Good Morning America, but the 4/4/1994 segment included vocalist Abby Lincoln. I'm only guessing that he was part of the group backing her up.
Maybe, but that's a pretty all-star group backing her up.

Joe was, at this point, about at the peak of his resurgence. He had just released the albums Lush Life and So Near, So Far (both of which enjoyed extended stays at the #1 spot of the Billboard Jazz charts), plus he had just won a Grammy for Lush Life. Christian McBride was still just a rising star then, but I'm pretty sure that both Herbie and Joe were more well-known than Abbey Lincoln was at the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe, but that's a pretty all-star group backing her up.

Joe was, at this point, about at the peak of his resurgence. He had just released the albums Lush Life and So Near, So Far (both of which enjoyed extended stays at the #1 spot of the Billboard Jazz charts), plus he had just won a Grammy for Lush Life. Christian McBride was still just a rising star then, but I'm pretty sure that both Herbie and Joe were more well-known than Abbey Lincoln was at the time.
I did a YouTube search and found this. It makes me think Abby was the feature. I can't image Joe playing this song if he was the featured artist. He had so much material to chose from including originals and the albums you cited.

Abbey Brother can you spare a dime hq - YouTube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts