Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title pretty much explains itself. ill probably make some purchases based on what you guys say. been really getting into joe on youtube but i really dont like digital copies of albums, id much rather have a CD.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I like "Four", recorded live 1968 with Jimmy Cobb, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers. Plays standards in and out. All his recordings with Kenny Dorham are good. His playing on Larry Young's Unity is smokin. But then I like everything he recorded. I consider him the bridge between Sonny Rollins and Trane.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like "Four", recorded live 1968 with Jimmy Cobb, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers. Plays standards in and out. All his recordings with Kenny Dorham are good. His playing on Larry Young's Unity is smokin. But then I like everything he recorded. I consider him the bridge between Sonny Rollins and Trane.
yeah. i get that sonny and trane thin from him aswell. i hear more sonny in his earlier stuff though.

and thanks everyone this is helpful, ill have a look for all these albums

·
Registered
201 Posts
Inner Urge. One of the best albums in jazz. He's also great on The Real McCoy, another classic.
+1 For Inner Urge. I listened to that album a lot during the first year or two of getting into improvising and it really helped me to expand my horizons to different stuff. Killin..

·
Read Only
806 Posts
Just a heads-up, "Four" is the sister disc to "Straight No Chaser," from the same date, also great.

If you like sax/bass/drum trio, "State of the Tenor" from '85 is fantastic, both sets.

He also has another trio one from around '91, with Charlie Haden & Al Foster (?)...in Montreal, I think, but can't place the title now.

·
Registered
684 Posts
"An Evening With Joe Henderson" recorded in Italy in '86 I think, w/ Charlie Haden and Al Foster is a particularly great album. I believe it's on
Red Records. IMO Joe's playing on it exceeds his playing on "State Of The Tenor" in a big way.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I guess I hear more Stan Getz and Bird than anything, but it has always been amazing that he was his own man. It may have something to with going to NY at a later age than others. NOBODY, except maybe Getz had better time.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I guess I hear more...Bird than anything.
+1. Although I don't think its possible to overstate the influence Bird would have on anyone coming up in the 50's.

+2 for the two live records with Wynton Kelly. I also really enjoy the much later stuff like "Lush Life" and "Double Rainbow." So nice to hear a sound cultivated without regard for the need to play loud.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have been really getting into the fusion stuff the recorded on Milestone in the 70s - the Elements, Canyon Lady, In pursuit, etc etc etc For straight ahead stuff, be sure to check out his sideman stuff, some of his best: Larry Young - Unity, Ron Carter - All Blues, Horace Silver - any, are some of my picks.

...almost forgot to mention one of my desert island records "Relaxin at Camarillo" - you HAVE to have this one if you don't already

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I like "State of the Tenor"

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like these JH albums, all on milestone I think.
The Kicker,Tetragon, in Japan, In pursuit of blackness, black is the colour, power to the people, Quintet-at the lighthouse.

My favourite Joe period is the mid seventies when his playing could be very free, powerful and screaming yet also full of subtlety. From the later period I like So near, so far and the big band disc. I think the lester young influence also comes out more strongly on his later stuff. At fast tempos his time was unbeatable.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The first Joe Henderson album I bought,for no other reason than it was the only Joe Henderson album they had, was JOE HENDERSON IN JAPAN rec live in Tokyo 1971.I haven't listened to my albums for years,don't even have a turn table any more,my phone sits in a space between two book ends of albums,hundreds of them,for months I've had two on display,Blue Train on one side,Trane with his Tone Master and Joe Henderson in Japan on the other.
This is my favourite Joe Henderson album cover. Joe is sitting cross legged in a studio space,he is wearing black and white finely stripped pants,sun glasses a watch and a saxophone strap,no shirt,he has a cigarette in his left hand and he's scratching his ear with his right,looking down,his tenor is sitting behind him on top of a black soft leather case,you can see the faded patina of the mkvi lacquer and the rubber Selmer mouthpiece.
He looks reflective and in good physical shape,small, brown and lean.
In the top right corner his name is written in English Joe Henderson in Japan in black,then all over the album are Japanese characters saying Joe Henderson in orange,they stand out against the light green of the studio space.
The music is wild,intelligent and imaginative,the cover image catches the physical and reflective sides of him.
It's a live recording of one nights work,4/8/71 he was doing gigs like this all over the world during the 70's,he's playing with all his powers and just smokin,I love this record.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts