Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there --

there's lots of buzz about the "Allard Method" here on his board, but I never figured out what it actually is! Did Joe Allard publish a book where I can read more?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,004 Posts
I'm pretty sure Allard didn't write any sort of text related to his teachings regarding sound, embouchure etc.
The best source I have been able to find on this matter was a thesis from the US, which included interviews that are on the link that Chitownjazz provided. (McKim, Debra Jean. Joseph Allard: His Contributions to Saxophone Pedagogy and Performance. Published Doctor of Arts Disseration, University of Colorado, 2000.)
This thesis also includes transcripts of interviews with Allard.

I've forgotten where I got it from, but it was well worth it.

·
3,875 Posts
Benny said:
I'm pretty sure Allard didn't write any sort of text related to his teachings regarding sound, embouchure etc.
The best source I have been able to find on this matter was a thesis from the US, which included interviews that are on the link that Chitownjazz provided. (McKim, Debra Jean. Joseph Allard: His Contributions to Saxophone Pedagogy and Performance. Published Doctor of Arts Disseration, University of Colorado, 2000.)
This thesis also includes transcripts of interviews with Allard.

I've forgotten where I got it from, but it was well worth it.
Excerpts from that dissertation (I don't know how much) is in the link that chitownjazz provided above.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dave Liebman points to Allard as his main inspiration, see his book and videos.

I had and lost (=lent) a video by Walt Weiskopf showing Joe Allard explaining his approach. The title was "The Master Speaks", if I remember right.

·
3,004 Posts
Agent27 said:
Excerpts from that dissertation (I don't know how much) is in the link that chitownjazz provided above.
Which is what I said.

"The Master Speaks" video is presented by Jay Weinstein and is available through Sharper Video. Unfortunately, at the time the video was made Allard was beginning to show signs of Alzheimers.
Good video though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A thorough presentation of the "Joe Allard Method" is difficult, because he did not really teach a "method".

Aside from a few basic ideas about breath support, embouchure, and the harmonic series, he taught different things to different students, depending on what they needed at that time (and depending on what he was learning himself, since he was always looking for better ideas). Every student's perspective of "what Joe taught" is different, because he taught the student, not a method. When I compare my lessons to my contemporaries, what Joe taught them was different than what he taught me.

Not once in the 3 years I studied with him did I ever hear him say "this is what you should do" or "this is the correct way to do X". What he would do is talk about various aspects of what he knew about how the saxophone worked, how the human body worked and how they interacted, or tell a story that demonstrated that interaction. This explanation or story would always have something to do with a problem I was having. He would then give me a suggestion of something to try. I would try it in the lesson. We would decide if doing what he suggested made it easier to play or made me sound better. It almost always did, but if it didn't, we would discard that idea and try something else. He would never suggest I do or practice something until he had demonstrated to me, in the lesson, that it made my playing better.

Of course, that is only how he taught me, and that was exactly how I needed to be taught. Which is why he was a genius!

·
3,875 Posts
Benny said:
Which is what I said.

"The Master Speaks" video is presented by Jay Weinstein and is available through Sharper Video. Unfortunately, at the time the video was made Allard was beginning to show signs of Alzheimers.
Good video though.
Sorry, I missed the one little line in your post where you mentioned that. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts