Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm planning on buying a new saxophone and decided to go ahead and try to convince my parents to buy a mouthpiece along with it... anyways, im trying to decide between the ESP and DV, anyone wanna voice their opinion? Also, either way, what reed should i use for the mouthpiece you support?

:space1: :space2: :space3: :line5: :line5: :line5:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Of course they're expensive...however, call Jody and talk it out. He has a good trial policy. Try both. You won't ever know if you don't give em both a blow.

New Life Sax

·
Registered
310 Posts
newlifesax said:
Of course they're expensive...however, call Jody and talk it out. He has a good trial policy. Try both. You won't ever know if you don't give em both a blow.

New Life Sax
... said like a true mouthpiece slut. :shock: :cool: :shock:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
newlifesax said:

New Life Sax
yeh i know price is going to be a big problem but i've done some research and i've decided that these two might be mouthpieces that can be played over a lifetime and can become classics but i might just look into trying them both out and seeing what happens... i'm thinkin that the spoiler on the esp might produce an effect similar to the DV but i guess ur right, i won't know until i try em out

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
playitfunky said:
I liked the DV alot more then the ESP.
I agree. If I had to take one of the two, I'd take the DV. But it's much more aggressive and, IMHO, less versatile.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Both the ESP and DV or aggressive pieces IMO. The Esp I guess is more flexible because it has the removable spoiler. Overall I just then the DV blows the ESP out of the water.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Damn, I looked up the price of the DV and it's $450!!! Hard rubber is relatively cheap... looks like I have something to research tonight.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
decade said:
Damn, I looked up the price of the DV and it's $450!!! Hard rubber is relatively cheap... looks like I have something to research tonight.

Jody Jazz DV are expensive. I wouldn't buy it unless it really jumps out at you like it did for me.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Being a student (or not), you may not really need the bling. These are fine mouthpieces, but you should start with defining your needs over the next few years. What type of playing will you be doing? Do you want one mouthpiece that does it all, or consider a couple of mouthpieces?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Mojo giving some good advice. Don't go thinking price means anything other then how much money you will be out after you buy the piece. Jody makes a great mouthpiece and I hear he play tests them all. They are finished really nice, gold plated, so they are expensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MojoBari said:
Being a student (or not), you may not really need the bling. These are fine mouthpieces, but you should start with defining your needs over the next few years. What type of playing will you be doing? Do you want one mouthpiece that does it all, or consider a couple of mouthpieces?
well like i stated before, i've been looking at the jodyjazz mouthpieces noted that yes they look good but they also sound good.. it looks as though the esp can be used for classical and jazz but the dv is more of a jazzy mouthpiece so i might go with the esp...im also interested in seeing what the spoiler is like... if im unable to get the esp i might just get the jodyjazz classic or continue searching

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
Without getting into a HUGE debate here, and making sweeping generalizations, metal pieces like these are not as popular for the alto as they are for the tenor.

There are a huge number of very serious pros, in all styles, who play on hard rubber. In my opinion Hard Rubber is the way to go for on alto, Bird, Desmond, Pepper and Cannonball all played on HR, and these guys are as influential as you can get. It is a bit different on tenor, where metal pieces have been popular for a long time.

You can also experiment, and find your own tone for much less outlay. If you are an experienced player, try the Jody Jazz HR or a Meyer. These are serious pieces that will give you good base to try more radical things.

Just my opinion!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about the JJ Classic? It's hard rubber and I'm guessing that it can be comparable to the HR* due to similar price and same material.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would get a refaced Meyer personally.. thats a piece that will last a long time. An ESP or a DV for alto would not be a very flexible setup unless you're playing to be a smooth jazz player.. but that's all just my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
maestroelite said:
I would get a refaced Meyer personally.. thats a piece that will last a long time. An ESP or a DV for alto would not be a very flexible setup unless you're playing to be a smooth jazz player.. but that's all just my opinion.
well i've been nominated for GHP (state of ga thing.. google it) in the category of jazz. i'm looking for a mouthpiece that will allow me to feel what i'm playing and give me a little edge when i audition in february. i think i've found the right horn (yamaha yas-875exb). done my research on it and i'm planning on buying it but i'm stuck trying to find the right mouthpiece for it

·
Registered
730 Posts
A Meyer will give you edge if you bring it.. if standard reeds don't do it get a Fibracell premier. Don't get too caught up in the hype with mouthpieces. The best thing you can do is get out and try a ton of things before you buy something, words on a screen don't tell you anything. Hmm, I just contradicted my own arguement.. I'm assuming you're going to be playing this in a big band/combo setting and I rarely see high baffles on big band alto players, especially when the band plays traditional literature. Same goes for small groups.

I could be wrong, but have you ever played a mouthpiece that isn't in the classical vein before? If you haven't, a small chamber/high baffle piece is a really bad idea IMO. It'll have a very steep learning curve.

If I were you and were going to burn a significant amount of cash anyway, I'd just get a stock Meyer in a facing around .70-.75(I think that's around a 6 now.. maybe 5) and play it for a couple weeks and send it to a good refacer and tell them exactly what you like, dislike, and expect to do with the piece. The Meyer might be just fine without it though.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
They Meyers Cannonball, Desmond etc played on is not the same Meyer you buy today. Those original Meyers Bros pieces are far more expensive then a Jody Jazz if you can even find one. Lot's of good players are using DV's on alto and sounding great. It is a modern, edgy, bright, loud piece though so you have to really think about how you want to sound.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts