Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all

Edit: Thanks everyone, I think Im going to try the dv and see how I like it.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
You don't seem to be getting much action on this so I'll give an opinion. I owned a JJDV 8* tenor piece a few years back and I have an original Durga bari piece but not the tenor version. That being said, from all the pics I've seen the new Durga 3 tenor piece looks a lot like the design of older Durga bari piece I have - high, more or less, flat baffle near the tip dropping into a large throat and chamber, and then some sort of reducer going into the shank. For me, this combination plays much darker than you think it's going to until it's pushed a bit at higher volume. In contrast, the JJDV was bright with plenty of edge across the range at anything louder than mp. It's not quite a paint peeler but close. I'd expect the Durga to be comparatively rounder and darker sounding.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
You don't seem to be getting much action on this so I'll give an opinion. <SNIP> I'd expect the Durga to be comparatively rounder and darker sounding.
I'll weigh in too, I've owned both for tenor although my Durga was the first generation. I owned a Durga 8 and a JJ DV 8...a number of years back. They both have a "modern/contemporary" vibe; by that, I mean the mid-to-higher frequencies in the tone are out front.

The JJ DV 8 was easy to play, easy to control, and I would describe the tone as bright and focused. You recalled being limited in shaping the tone, and decided it wasn't versatile enough.

I found the Durga took more time to learn how to play it to its full potential. Not hard, but it was more flexible. It was definitely on the brighter side of things but had a nice fatness to the tone, some "weight". Its internal chamber design made altissimo within easy reach (as with the JJ DV), but the tone was fat. I wouldn't say more spread, but fat...more of the lower frequencies came through. I had more leeway in shaping the tone.

Workmanship/craftsmanship was beautiful on both of them. Between the two of them, I had a marked preference for the Durga. I would have kept it but I like a more Link-style mouthpiece, a darker bottom end.

Those were my experiences, hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I owned a Durga few years ago. It was a powerhouse but the tone lacked character for me. I have the same feeling when I listen to the pro players playing the Durga on Youtube.
I now play a JJ DV7* and it is the best metal piece I have tried so far : extremely easy to play, allows you to go for stronger reeds, super nice bottom and can be very focussed on the high register. I have a tendency to blow on the dark side on my Selmer BA and I play jazz and funk. So, the DV is the perfect compromise for me, as I can easily play soft jazz ballads but also get that "pocket in your face" sound for funk.
Talking about comparison, I also tested very recently a Guardala PMS Studio and the DV beats it by far,

·
Registered
605 Posts
I owned a Durga few years ago. It was a powerhouse but the tone lacked character for me. I have the same feeling when I listen to the pro players playing the Durga on Youtube.
I now play a JJ DV7* and it is the best metal piece I have tried so far : extremely easy to play, allows you to go for stronger reeds, super nice bottom and can be very focussed on the high register. I have a tendency to blow on the dark side on my Selmer BA and I play jazz and funk. So, the DV is the perfect compromise for me, as I can easily play soft jazz ballads but also get that "pocket in your face" sound for funk.
Talking about comparison, I also tested very recently a Guardala PMS Studio and the DV beats it by far,
How does the DV compare to the Retro Revival Florida, Marc?

·
Registered
68 Posts
On tenor I currently play a Durga 3 #8. I really like most things about it - after all I gave up a great original Guardala to pay for it. Big, ballsy, medium bright. I play mainly Rock and Soul. I also have a nice Durga 2 #8 to compare it too. The 3 has more fizz and sparkle, a bit brighter.

I have tried JJDV for tenor 7 and 8 and couldn't do much with them. Very puzzling because on alto, I chose the JJDV over a Durga 2!!?? It could just do more, especially in the first octave. Both great - with the Durga offering a bit more expressiveness in the 2nd octave, but overall for alto the DV was better.

For tenor, the DVs just didn't work for me. I've heard some cats sound amazing on them. Maybe will try again in a few months. You should try 'em all, different openings, several times.

I play a KW SX90R tenor.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How does the DV compare to the Retro Revival Florida, Marc?
I would say that the DV is another animal offering a very different tone palette and playing experience. While the Super-D is and feels like a Link on steroids, the DV is free blowing and can be more focused and bright if needed.I also use harder reeds on the DV and the projection is better than the RR super-D. IMO the pieces to compare are the DV and the RR Seventh Av south.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Dv is the the strangest sounding mouthpiece I have ever played its way to free blowing and it feels strange in my mouth. At least the Durga has some resistance coming back at me. I wouldnt play either but If I did I would pick a Durga over the DV anyday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts