Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play a Vandoren V16 T8 metal tenor mouthpiece now. Thinking about trying the JodyJazz DV or DV Chicago mouthpieces in 7* or 8*. Anyone have experience to share with these? I’m leaning towards the 7*, since it’s close to my V16, but wonder if I should consider the larger tip opening?

I know, I need to try them myself, but I’m curious about others’ experience, thx.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My experience was with the DV NY, so not sure if relevant. I had a 7 and a 7*. I sold the 7* and kept the 7. I didn’t find a big difference, but ultimately preferred the 7.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I've been playing the DV Chi as my main tenor piece in 7* for many years now - since shortly after it came out. I also have one in 8* that I play occasionally when I feel like I want/need to be louder. I also owned a JJ DV 8* for a couple of years but it was too bright for me especially down low so I let it go. The regular DV will be a very bright playing piece in a 7* especially compared to what you are presently playing.

Everyone is different so you need to play them for yourself but first I would decide what it is you want. IMO, the DVNY will be closest to what you are presently using and I'd try that in a 7* or maybe an 8 if you can find one. The DV Chi will be a step up in brightness, at least it is for me, and the 7* is more like a 7** (.108) so that's similar in tip opening to what you have with your Vandoren though you may find you like it in 8* to counter-act some of the added brightness from the increased baffle. Unless you want something very bright and easy blowing I think you are going to find the standard DV design more acceptable in the 8* tip.

In the end, which piece and what tip really depends a lot on what your motive is as well as what you're most comfortable with as a player. For me the DV Chi is great for most of the playing I do. I can use it in jazz combo, and big band, as well as funk and rock though sometimes I use the bigger 8* for those gigs. Generally on tenor I find tips larger than .110 difficult to control and tiring after an hour to hour-and-a-half of playing but I only get 10-12 hours of practice in a week. For me that's not enough time to keep my chops up to handling more open pieces for extended periods. Though not ideal, mostly when I take the 8* out I cheat a bit by using an older reed that I've been playing on the 7* for a while to make the blowing resistance more manageable.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for this super helpful comment, Keith. It sounds like I need to try several different JJ’s. I’ve been happy with the V16 T8, but sometimes wonder if I have to work a little too hard for the sound I want.

With the JJ’s, is consistency good enough that I can try one of each, or should I narrow it down to one type and try a few versions of that?

Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I spent weeks with the DV 7*, and an equal amount of time with a CHI. I liked the DV better. It’s now my main piece of 2. (I don’t switch around much). I’ve got an STM I use on quieter gigs..,..

I don’t seem to get quiet gigs anymore....

Been using the DV for maybe 6 years now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts