Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from jazz band where I tried the my new JJ classic in a 7. We're doing Moanin' and the jody jazz absolutely ripped it up. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a smokin' bari piece, especically with the spoiler in. A++

·
Registered
511 Posts
I agree. Since I got mine the Metalite has been a back-up and hasn't been used. I think my JJ Classic is a 9 but plays easily and has great solid tone.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've been using a JJ Classic 7 on my bari several months and like it as well. My only complaint is that i still do battle with electric guitars at blues jams and it is hard to be heard (less of an issue with alto, but in bari range, it is tough).

·
Registered
255 Posts
I also use the JJ classic 7.

Love it. Can;t find anything better so far.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Ive got Jody's ESPs on my alto, tenor and bari, and I agree, his pieces are fantastic!! This is how a mpc is supposed to play!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ha, I actually set my JJ down when I got my Metalite. I personally think it's much more versatile, and for the band I'm in, louder. But it is a very nice piece nonetheless!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Dan - Ive played Runyon as well, and the only similarities IMO is that they all come from the same blank. They finished differently, and to a better standard!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
A friend of mine plays a SA80II baritone and tried every piece on the market and his quest was over when the joday jazz baritone piece arrived. I love the way he sound on it.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
dzve said:
A friend of mine plays a SA80II baritone and tried every piece on the market and his quest was over when the joday jazz baritone piece arrived. I love the way he sound on it.
This is my horn also...I bought 2 new bari pieces with the sale of my RPC 110B to gsaxman. First was the JJ Classic 7, second was an ebay refaced HR Berg Larsen 95/2M opened up to 110.

JJ Classic is great both with and w/o the baffle. Love the sound and the ease with which it plays/speaks.

However, the HR Berg is also one awesome piece that has thrown a kink into my plans to stick to one piece and learn to do everything with it. Both of these pieces will be played for the next couple of weeks, I will post a soundclip, then I'll decide. Given the flexibility of the removable baffle, I think the choice will be the JJ Classic 7.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Conrado said:
I've been using a JJ Classic 7 on my bari several months and like it as well. My only complaint is that i still do battle with electric guitars at blues jams and it is hard to be heard (less of an issue with alto, but in bari range, it is tough).
Isn't this guitarist issue, not a mouthpiece issue?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can anyone give me ideas on using a JodyJazz Classic Bari 5 for concert band.
I play a YBS-52 with the stock Yamaha 5C MP...this seems a little closed.

I would like my new MP to be able to play both concert band & jazz band.

All ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
if you go to jody's web site he has a six question process that will help identify what would help you the most. the jody classic was based off a one of a kind modified runyon that jody received permission to make and resale. they are all hand finished and play tested by jody himself. love mine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
thanks saxxsymbol

I took your advice & emailed Jody by answering his 6 questions.

Also asked him if I can trial both the 5 & 6 Classic bari & return one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah that shouldn't be a problem, really open return policy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Few weeks ago I bought a JJ ESP 7 Bari.
Now my Martin Magna is a killer horn!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts