Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the ESP and DV (other than the price)?

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts

The above ESP model has very little, if any, baffle and plays darker without the spoiler and quite a bit brighter with. It's nice having the option of using it either way.

The DV has a very unique table and more baffle built in. It does not come with a removable baffle and is definitely for those seeking a sharper more contemporary sound.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good pics and explanation; however, the second pic is actually Jody's DV NY model, which is at least as dark as the ESP (w/out spoiler) and not quite as focused. I really liked the ESP but could never adapt to the bite - very narrow. The DV NY has a low beak angle which I find very comfortable; has a beautiful, dark tone and quite a bit louder than the ESP (again, w/out spoiler in). The DV is very reed friendly, though softer reeds and certain cuts can sound overly buzzy - almost kazoo-like. I wouldn't hesitate recommending trialing the ESP, DV and DV NY directly from Jody - his trial policy is accommodating and customer service exemplary.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
The ESP has a significant roll-over baffle as shown in the pictures. It is very high near the tip rail for a short distance. This is a way of adding some additional high frequencies to the sound. But some players chirp on this type of baffle.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the gist im getting is the ESP is more versatile but not as characteristic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts