Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has tried them both, what's your take?

Thank you,

JI

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Tried the Super Jet. Too shrill and loud. I?d go with the Jet instead, which is already plenty loud and bright (although it doesn't seem to have much body in terms of the sound, more like a hollow, bright and loud sound). Owned a DV before, didn?t really like it -- it seemed too limited and not flexible enough. Between the two options you listed, from a purely sonic perspective, the DV would definitely be better than the Super Jet and probably better than the Jet. Taking into consideration the relative costs, the Jet will probably be the best value buy (it's costs about 1/3-1/4 what DV costs).

Recently got a Durga 3 (which I know isn?t one of the options you listed) and I absolutely love it. Bright and loud enough when I need it to be and the sound is fat/has enough body to it. It's also pretty flexible (sound can be calibrated from more focused to more spread based on the positioning of the ligature screw/ligature). It costs just about the same as a DV.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,531 Posts
I would also vote the DV over the Super Jet and the Durga 3 is a better option. Its the only piece (durga) that I would consider to replace my earnie north way if it was damaged. K

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,832 Posts
My metal Boss has loads of body and volume with plenty of cut. I can sell youan unplated polished brass one for $399.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,868 Posts
Playing a gig tonight with the Super Jet #10. Trying it out as a backup in case anything happens to my RPC 120B. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,692 Posts
i tried the dv and thought it was very good. not so good though for me in the altissimo range . I'm trying a super jet later today and ill post my take. it seems like a lot of players post that a mouthpiece is too bright or shrill are not used to playing the real high baffle pieces . some players have no problem playing a dukoff or jj java bright or dark and others just hate them . I've always played dukoffs and lebayle studio and jj java so Ill give you my take tomorrow .

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm the one who described the super jet as shrill in this thread. I've also tried the JJ Blue and really liked it (it didn't have that shrillness and it had a big, full body to the sound). I just decided not to keep it because people are paying crazy money for it, so I essentially had no choice but to sell. I also have a Dukoff Miami SPC (although the clear one and not metal) that I also really like.

Having said that, I'm sure others can play the super jet without it sounding shrill, it will probably just take more work to do it, whereas the other comparable mouthpieces do not have the shrillness to start with.

·
2,692 Posts
just tried it. nice clear sound and super easy to play /I could play it dark or bright .from the box it looks like it had been trailed and returned to brass winds. the box had been opened for sure and so was the pouch. the only thing i did not like about it was the altissimo was hard for me to get. I have no problem with jj java or dukoff or beechler or lebayle with altissimo but for some damn reason I struggle on jodys pieces with altissimo. the rest of the notes came out easy . no shrillness .could go from bright and clear to dark and mellow. very easy piece to control.I might try more reeds on it but the altissimo just feels weird to me. my main piece is a lebayle metal studio on alto and although the jj super jet is very good i don't think Ill replace my lebayle with it .the ligature is also a little too small to fit right with my fibracells for some reason?? you would have thought they would at least fit correctly as it is original equipment. . I will work a little bit with it but I probably won't wind up keeping it . I can tell with in minutes if Ill end up using a mouthpiece or not. thats my review . I thought the dv was great except for the altissimo register as well . believe me I wished they worked for me....

·
2,692 Posts
just through a harder reed on it and now can get the altissimo . i play on it after my gig tonight and see if i keep it. i may just wind up keeping it because it does play well.

·
2,692 Posts
after practicing with the jody jazz super jet for 3 hours I realized my initial thoughts on it were unfair. things that I noticed about it were
1) you have to tune it like a beechler which means it has to not be pushed in like a regular mouthpiece . maybe a 1/4 inch or so out to get the sweet spot for tuning
2)the ligature does fit but just needs a little stretching out at first but ... its a good lig
3)it is easy then my other mouthpieces to play especially with articulation
4)with the right strength reed altissimo is good.
5) the sound for me is a cross between a dukoff and a bellite the piece will cut in smooth jazz situations or r/b rock etc...
6)very well made with a perfect facing
7)i love the sound and its so much easier to play then my dukoffs or bellites. especially bellites I thought bellites are hard playing even though I like their sound
8) this piece has the metal"buzz" that I like that I could never quite get out of the jj java (i know i know its not the material..... whatever....)
so to sum it up and to be fair to jody jazz I have to say its a tremendous mouthpiece for smooth jazz (or any kind of modern pop or r/b music ) its a keeper .the more I play it the more I think it will replace my beloved lebayle studio. Thats my review for what its worth

·
2,868 Posts
It worked real nice on the gig. It’s a keeper. Very powerful with excellent response and some nice tones depending on the music.

I first heard about the Super Jet tenor m/p from Donna Schwartz who attended the NAMM show. She was talking about a jam session which included many top shelf players taking turns on solos. She noted that two of the tenor players were using the Super Jet and that their sound was louder (in a positive way) than the other players.

I sent an email to Jody to find out which opening would be close to a 120. The response was a #8* so I ordered it from WW&BW. However his website indicates 116 for a #8*. It was loud and a little too bright on the upper end. The response was excellent from bottom to top and the altissimo notes simply popped out. It did not have the full tone of my RPC so I exchanged it for a 10* (135).

The 10* is not as bright in the upper range but leaves just enough to cut through when needed. I like the mid-range tone a lot which, as Jody’s site states can get “funky and dirty” when you want it. Volume? Plenty to spare.

If you are going to try one you may want to think about the tip opening. Double check his chart. It also depends on your gigs and your style of playing. If you are doing mostly laid standards you will probably want to go in a different direction. If you are doing a lot of party music with some intense roof raising playing you might want to give it a test drive.

·
2,868 Posts
It worked real nice on the gig. It’s a keeper. Very powerful with excellent response and some nice tones depending on the music.

I first heard about the Super Jet tenor m/p from Donna Schwartz who attended the NAMM show. She was talking about a jam session which included many top shelf players taking turns on solos. She noted that two of the tenor players were using the Super Jet and that their sound was louder (in a positive way) than the other players.

I sent an email to Jody to find out which opening would be close to a 120. The response was a #8* so I ordered it from WW&BW. However his website indicates 116 for a #8*. It was loud and a little too bright on the upper end. The response was excellent from bottom to top and the altissimo notes simply popped out. It did not have the full tone of my RPC so I exchanged it for a 10* (135).

The 10* is not as bright in the upper range but leaves just enough to cut through when needed. I like the mid-range tone a lot which, as Jody’s site states can get “funky and dirty” when you want it. Volume? Plenty to spare.

If you are going to try one you may want to think about the tip opening. Double check his chart. It also depends on your gigs and your style of playing. If you are doing mostly laid standards you will probably want to go in a different direction. If you are doing a lot of party music with some intense roof raising playing you might want to give it a test drive.
Disregard my prior review. Sorry. I can't use them. Tuning issue with the short shank which is impossible to tune and have enough m/p on the cork to make a good secure fit. It may, or may not work on certain tenor models according to an email from Jody dated 11/13/18. It does not work on a P Mauriat 66 RGL. If you try one make sure that the shank goes far enough onto neck cork and still plays in tune rather than being too sharp. I had to back mine to fit 1/2 inch of the cork and use plumbers tape and it is still too sharp. Yes Jody did suggest that I "pull the neck out" just a little to play in tune. Should not have to do that at a cost of $395.00 times 2.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,553 Posts
Disregard my prior review. Sorry. I can't use them. Tuning issue with the short shank which is impossible to tune and have enough m/p on the cork to make a good secure fit. It may, or may not work on certain tenor models according to an email from Jody dated 11/13/18. It does not work on a P Mauriat 66 RGL. If you try one make sure that the shank goes far enough onto neck cork and still plays in tune rather than being too sharp. I had to back mine to fit 1/2 inch of the cork and use plumbers tape and it is still too sharp. Yes Jody did suggest that I "pull the neck out" just a little to play in tune. Should not have to do that at a cost of $395.00 times 2.
Pulling the neck out on any saxophone is not a good idea in my opinion. I don't think you should have to do that at any price!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I'm wondering, as since this was posted in the alto mouthpiece section that it may have been taken over a little bit by tenor players.

And as such issues of tuning are going to be a lot different on alto as well as the playing experience.

I've been interested in the super jet (for tenor) as well but note that the mouthpiece I play is a very similar design only with a larger chamber and Eric Falcons facing work. So it's not different enough that I would buy sight unseen without playing it first. I played a jet and did not like it at all (I used to play a DV).

·
2,868 Posts
Pulling the neck out on any saxophone is not a good idea in my opinion. I don't think you should have to do that at any price!
Absolutely. Not a good suggestion at all.

I'm wondering, as since this was posted in the alto mouthpiece section that it may have been taken over a little bit by tenor players
I am sorry. Posted just in case anyone wanted to give it a try via WW&BW on a trial period.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts