Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite alto mpc for some time has been the Jody Jazz Classic with the spoiler. However, there have been ever more frequent occasions when, all of a sudden, the reed simply refuses to vibrate, no matter what. Until I remove the ligature and reed and then put them back in place. Simply loosening the lig and moving the reed around before retightening doesn't seem to help.

This has happened with several different reeds.

But when I remove the spoiler, the problem does not (well, not yet) occur.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution (other than throwing out the spoiler)?

All replies welcome.

KM

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Your reed probably gets a little softer after you play on it a while. You can start with a slightly stiffer reed than you like and then let it soften up to where you like it. Try trimming one up a little. Or, as a test, move it up and let some of the reed overhang the tip.

If you can also consider sanding down the plastic part of the Spoiler so it is farther from the reed. This will reduce the venturi effect that draws a vacuum on the reed. This will also make the sound less bright, but it will still be brighter than using no Spoiler. I have reduced Spoilers to 2/3rds of their original height.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts