Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just purchased a Power Ring from Jody Jazz. I've always wanted to try this type of ligature. They sent me two because the mouthpiece I have isn't a Jody Jazz one to see if they fit. It's sitting very far down the mouthpiece. Like just about up to the end of the reed. I was wondering if this is bad? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I could post a pic too if it would help.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,904 Posts
If it's all the way down at the very bottom of the reed, you might have issues with the reed sealing along the table. Try it out and see what you think!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to play from top to bottom. I have 2 weeks before I have to send them back so I'm going to try and play as many different things on it to see if I notice anything weird like you were saying.

·
3,904 Posts
Can you compare it to other ligatures? Stop by a shop and test a few against the JJ lig?

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am just going to send them back and order one from the same brand I have. Bummer because they look slick. I'm just worried a slight change in its size from even temperature would make it not seal right like you were saying.

·
3,904 Posts
It's possible but not likely to cause enormous differences. If it were made of wood, I would agree with you.

I feel like you might be doing it an injustice to simply dismiss them. If you're able to go to a shop and try multiple ligatures, I'd recommend that above all else.

Lots of guys, including top pros, use ring style ligatures. The wood ones are fairly popular, strangely enough.

I tried a few and they were fine, but not major improvements. My favorite continues to be a FL "Pure Brass" in silver plate on both alto and tenor. While other ligatures are a bit simpler to adjust, these provide the best response for me, especially in the extreme registers of the horn.

Best of luck in your lig search, sir!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I have 4 or 5 of these owning several JJ and a couple of Drake pieces that came with them. I know there are lots of folks who like this type of lig but I've just found them to be frustrating. As the thickness of the reed blank changes the fit of the ligature changes and where it sits on the mouthpiece moves forward and back. I could see these working for someone who plays synthetic reeds which are generally very consistent in size making the fit similarly consistent but for real cane, especially if you occasionally change reed brands or styles, you're likely to find some inconsistency. My experience is response can be effected significantly by the forward/backward location of the ligature. This effect is especially pronounced on bari sax where I can almost guarantee you are going to have sealing issues as well as the potential for the reed to move side-to-side if the lig is slid to the very back end of the reed.

If you've convinced yourself you really want to give one of these a go I'd suggest trying some different reed brands and/or styles. If the lig is sliding too far back try a reed that's generally got a thicker heal like a Vandoren Traditional (Blue Box). You could also try building up the heal of the reeds you have with a few layers of masking tape or a small piece of folded paper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry haven't logged on in a bit. The different sized reeds definitely play a factor in it. I didn't use too many but the reed that had thickest end still had it hanging over a bit. That was a real reed. The one synthetic I have is even thinner at the end so it didn't fit too well. It definitely has to do more with the mouthpiece though. Was hoping those would fit the one I have. I ended up mailing them back there other day because I didn't want something that kind of fit for some reeds. I do want to try another ring style one because it does seem like the seal would be superior... and they look cool! I just started playing everyday again for the past month or so after playing on and off the last few years. I might be playing less again though because this past week my left jaw is just killing me after only playing a minute or two of a song. I don't really remember that being a problem when I used to play unless I was playing for hours at a time. I'll have to figure that out before I spend money on fancy new ring ligs I think. Thank you for the info though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts