Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone

I know that these mouthpieces are very popular but I'm wondering what the difference is between them?
I've tried the Dv and DV NY and it seems the DV is brighter in my opinion.
Can anyone tell me about the ESP 8* and why it's so much cheaper?

Thanks muchly

Chez

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
On the "Tenor mouthpiece" board there is a very recent thread which, I think, will answer your question. Its title was Jody Jazz:ESP or DVNY.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Beeflat. Had a read through that post. So looks like the DV is basically brighter, although in some opinions too bright. But playing wise it perhaps isn't worth the extra cash over the ESP...? I only really play gigs where I'm miked up anyhow.

Thanks so much for your help

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my opinion, there are only a few metal mouthpieces which worth every penny you can spend: Guardalas, Theo Wannes, Woodstones and JodyJazz DV series. To me, the DV is not "basically brighter" than the ESP: it`s absolutely versatile and easy blowing -remember to select a wider tip opening than you are used to-, it's louder but very, very easy to control, it responds equally well on all registers, and reeds that have been unplayable on other mouthpieces go great on this. Of course, it can be not your type of sound, but you have a choice with DV and DVNY for alto, and DV, DVNY and DVChi for tenor. They have become ridiculous pricey in my opinion, but for sure you could find any on the second hand market. I'm offering to sell a DV 7 myself, but after saying that all my previous words will sound just as advertising :). Seriously, the DVs are excellent, and above most mouthpieces, equal to only a few others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, thanks for the info Ratbat. It actually seems that they've discontinued the ESP since the DV has become so popular.
I'm actually looking for a baritone jody jazz though, is it a tenor your selling?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi
I note you're looking for a baritone mouthpiece - I tried a few at Howarth's last year, including the jody jazz dv, and I thought it was awful. I'm sure there are those that like them, but it just didn't do it for me. I switch between two now, an old ebonite lawton I bought about 10 years ago, and a new runyon smoothbore - out of the two I tend to play the runyon more, it just does everything I need. I bought from a dealer in the US, but I think sax.co.uk do them.
good luck

·
2,309 Posts
Chez,
You should tell the forum what you are currently playing on, what you like and dislike about it. Then state what your preference is in general; a bright, middle of the road or dark piece.

Most touring and studio bari players I know seem to all play on a metal or HR Berg or a RPC.

Good luck with your search.
JR

(Keep in mind your going to get personal opinions, out of Guardalas, Theo Wannes, Woodstones and JodyJazz I'd pick a JJ over those four, I've played on all and think the Wannes and Woodstones are way over rated, did not do a thing for me and Guardalas are just a common sounding MP, nothing to write home about. You ALWAYS have to play test for yourself.)

·
6,715 Posts
Chez,

Most bari players I know seem to all play on a metal or HR Berg or a RPC.

Good luck with your search.
JR
The inexpensive Rico Metalite also seems a favourite amongst baritone players on this forum.
By the way, as a tenor player, I had an ESP and a DV....I still have the ESP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advise everyone! I had a shot on a jody jazz DV 8 and luuuurved it! Packs a punch! I tried quite a few of the suggested mouthpieces above as well, but found the jody the easiest to get a nice big sound out of along with an even and reliable tone.
Basically, I'm a top end player really but do a few bari gigs which are mainly jive or funk so need some beef. But in reality I'm not a 1st study bari player so need a set up that's going to make my life easy for the fews gigs I take on on this instrument.
Took the jody away on approval and played it for this boogie blues band over in Marlborough jazz festival and it was great. So, think I'm definitely going to have to make a wee purchase!

Thanks everyone and happy tootling!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts