Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low End Alto Mouthpiece for Jazz - Jody Jazz HR @ $107.00, Barone Jazz @ $150.00, or Morgan Vintage @ $89.00. I'm interested in all three for my teenage son. Which would you recommend? Thanks!

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
I wouldn't call any of those low end. The Barone is available on eBay for $106 plus shipping. The Morgan Vintage is I think a slightly different design than his Jazz model and maybe a lower grade rubber.

Lower end? Watch out for a 4* Couf Artist for $40 on eBay. Low end in price only, they are nice mouthpieces, and I would think a good fit for a young player.

All that said - don't get too carried away searching for mouthpiece perfection at this point. He'll spend lots of time doing that later. ;) Find something fairly middle of the road, with not too large of a tip opening, and let it go at that. Any of the pieces here would easily qualify in the right tip opening.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
Of those three, I'd go with the Morgan. It's the best value for the money. Personally though, for high school students, I think that the Meyer 6M is the way to go.

Chitown is right though. You might find a nice Couf or even a Hite Artist (not the Premier) on eBay for a good price, and they are excellent mouthpieces.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Michael Ward said:
The Jody Jazz HR* 6M is an excellent mouthpiece and would be my choice.The Morgan is well made but not in the same league as the Morgan 6M which is a lot more money and my alto piece of choice.
Go with the Jody you won't be dissapointed.
Do you mean the Meyer is not as good as the Morgan???

·
Registered
417 Posts
Unless you can get access to the Barone and Morgan to compare, I'd suggest checking out the JJ and the Meyer first, as they are both available off the shelf.

I never got past the Meyer myself and am still playing the same 6M after 10 years.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Sorry I misread J Max's Meyer as Morgan but in actual fact I do prefer Morgans to Meyer. I've tried loads of Meyers and they are very inconsistant . If you wade through a few you might find a great one. The Morgans I've played and own are uniformly excellent and the rubber is first rate.
Back on subject I had a JJ 6M HR* and it surprised me how good it was.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the Jody Jazz HR. I've never played a Morgan Vintage but I do have a Morgan Jazz that is the best HR piece I've ever played.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Barone Jazz (as chitownjazz says, available very frequently direct at a very competitive price from Phil Barone on eBay) is very good on my Buescher. I like Morgan Jazz (on tenor, but like the Excalibur on alto) but am less certain about the Vintage. No experience of Jody Jazz (but reputation is good); on my modest experience the Barone is the winner.

A "jazz" mouthpiece is not essential, though; many play on more mainstream models. I find that the hard rubber Yanagisawa is very well made and plays very well too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chitownjazz said:
I wouldn't call any of those low end. The Barone is available on eBay for $106 plus shipping. The Morgan Vintage is I think a slightly different design than his Jazz model and maybe a lower grade rubber.

Lower end? Watch out for a 4* Couf Artist for $40 on eBay. Low end in price only, they are nice mouthpieces, and I would think a good fit for a young player.

All that said - don't get too carried away searching for mouthpiece perfection at this point. He'll spend lots of time doing that later. ;) Find something fairly middle of the road, with not too large of a tip opening, and let it go at that. Any of the pieces here would easily qualify in the right tip opening.
Sorry, I meant low end to differentiate from the more expensive mouthpieces they offer. Thanks for the helpful imput from all of you1 I'll buy one of the recommendations for his birthday in August and search for the 4* Couf Artist to use now. I assure you this kid will have a lot of mouthpieces because he will want to try them all.:)

·
2,767 Posts
3 Olives said:
I assure you this kid will have a lot of mouthpieces because he will want to try them all.:)
Maybe you should let him try them all before he buys them, saving you tons of money and getting him a mouthpiece of his choosing. That way, he'll have no excuse to ask for more later.:twisted:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dirty said:
Maybe you should let him try them all before he buys them, saving you tons of money and getting him a mouthpiece of his choosing. That way, he'll have no excuse to ask for more later.:twisted:
We won't be spending tons of money. The key word is want in want to try them all. He's a good kid - I was agreeing with chitownjazz. Also, he won't mind trying out inexpensive used pieces.:) For instance, he used the piece chitownjazz gave him for practice again today because it was a gift. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 16 year-old son is an accomplished alto player. I'm a newbie of about six months. He plays a Meyer 7M (w 3.5 Rico Royals - good chops) on a P. Maurat 76R. Being a mpc slut, I've tried several of my Morgan's on him. Neither of us care much for my Morgan Vintage 6 - seems squeek prone to me and hollow to him. He found my Morgan 7M to be not much different than his Meyer. He tested several Meyers before selecting this one, so got a good one. Recently got a Morgan 8E for him to try, but no reports yet. He is interested in a piece with more volume and brightness. I play a Morgan 3C on a Top Hat and really like it. At this point, I'm guessing my son might prefer to pick his own piece at a store rather than getting one from Dad. Hey, I'll grow into that 8E in - oh, four or five years!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
IMHO, The Morgan Jazz EL is better suited to a Buescher than the M and is brighter with good projection. It may be worth looking at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mr Pinnman,
I would agree. My Buescher likes a big chamber as it is a brighter horn than my son's PM - and intonation is spot on with the 3C. I recently decided, however, that I'm done with "chops in a box" for while. I'm going to stick with the 3C and work on developing a lip. When I re-enter GAS, I would be inclined toward one of the 'L' models as my horn doesn't need the brightness of an Excalibur. It was fun trying out the 8E, however. Man, that thing barks. Played it for about 20 minutes and my chops were so gone I was almost drooling.

·
878 Posts
mpc slut is gotta be the funniest thing I've heard in a loing time. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
J.Max said:
Of those three, I'd go with the Morgan. It's the best value for the money. Personally though, for high school students, I think that the Meyer 6M is the way to go.

Chitown is right though. You might find a nice Couf or even a Hite Artist (not the Premier) on eBay for a good price, and they are excellent mouthpieces.
J.Max - Thanks for the tip on the Hite Artist. I'll be looking for one after I find the Couf. I won't be buying a new piece until my son's birthday.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Out of those three, I'll take the Jody Jazz every time. He's got a variety pieces, and your son could easily try them out. Jody has a full "no questions asked" return policy if you don't like the mouthpiece. Check out all the information on his website www.jodyjazz.com . I played a Jody Jazz Classic blue #6 for years and I still miss it every so often.

Saxaholic

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
rhnyberg said:
My 16 year-old son is an accomplished alto player. I'm a newbie of about six months. He plays a Meyer 7M (w 3.5 Rico Royals - good chops) on a P. Maurat 76R. Being a mpc slut, I've tried several of my Morgan's on him. Neither of us care much for my Morgan Vintage 6 - seems squeek prone to me and hollow to him. He found my Morgan 7M to be not much different than his Meyer. He tested several Meyers before selecting this one, so got a good one. Recently got a Morgan 8E for him to try, but no reports yet. He is interested in a piece with more volume and brightness. I play a Morgan 3C on a Top Hat and really like it. At this point, I'm guessing my son might prefer to pick his own piece at a store rather than getting one from Dad. Hey, I'll grow into that 8E in - oh, four or five years!
It's not surprising that the Morgan 7M isn't much different than your friend's Meyer. Morgan Jazz pieces are based on the old Meyer mouthpieces.

And "mpc slut" is one of the funniest things I've seen posted in a while.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts