Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently playing an Expression 6* on my Yanagisawa A901. It is not a bad mouthpiece and very inexpensive.
I've also got an Otto Link Tone Edge 6* and a Berg Larsen Metal (very open).

But I would like to try something new.

What do you think - is the Jody Jazz HR a good choice for someone who prefers a mellow, rather dark tone?

Thank you for your tips

Uli

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi
I think the Jody H.R for Tenor is a Fantastic mouthpiece. I did not feel the same about the Jody H.R. for Alto. I would have a very good look at the Vandoren V16 A6M and also the V16 A6S.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,596 Posts
No. At least based on my experiece with tenor, the Jody Jazz is a perfectly good mouthpiece, but it has a medium sized chamber. Assuming the alto mouthpieces are similar to tenors, I would expect your Link to be darker than the Jody Jazz HR.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have a JJHR for alto which I quite like. However, for me, it plays fairly bright in comparison to a couple other pieces I have. I like it as a lead alto piece and find it really seems to have a nice "edge" that I can control. Still, I don't use it for it's great mellow, dark characteristics. I often use a Rico royal 3 with this piece and this could add to the brightness I suppose but I really don't think of it as either dark or mellow...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'd have to agree with the other responses here. I feel it has a bit of an edge to it which is exactly why I chose it. I didn't care for the HR* on tenor though. If a dark piece is your thing, the HR* may not be for you. If you don't mind the significantly higher price tag, the DV NY may be an option. Several folks have posted good reviews on that piece here on the forum.

·
1,226 Posts
If you don't care about mouthpiece material you could consider a JJ ESP, it has a mellow and dark tone but it could be a powerful mouthpiece if you push it. I think the ESP is the best Jody Jazz mouthpiece ever made (I tried JJ DV, JJ DVNY and JJ HR). You could get one for around $160 in the marketplace or eBay.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your comments.
Today a friend of a friend asked me if I wanted to borrow his JJHR and his Mouthpiece Cafe N.Y. Bros. pieces so that I could compare the two. He also said that I would probably not be happy with the Jody. But he is really enthusiastic about the MPC Cafe alto piece. Of course, I will gladly accept his offer.
I am curious about the Cafe NY because I did not even know this brand existed.

Cheers

Uli

·
2,828 Posts
i have owned both,the HR JJ TENOR,was a good piece, the one i had was mellow in tone,good solid tone,i would of liked to have heard more projection! compared to a link, which i also have there is not much in it,i sold mine on because i could get a better sound from pieces that were more expensive,but for the money they are worth considering,more of a jazz piece.
The alto was a different piece in terms of sound, it had more projection a good punchy sound that could be used for quite a few genres,jazz/rock/blues..etc a good all round piece i felt in a big band it would fit well, and like its tenor counterpart for the money good value!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts