Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a new HR baritone mouthpiece and right now I'm leaning towards either the Jody Jazz HR* or the Vandoren V16 with an opening around 0.120.
I've read some recommendations of both pieces but don't know how they are compared to each other
Did someone play these two pieces side by side?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I know that a JJ Hr* looks and tastes like real hard rubber.
The Vandoren V16 looks and feels like it has more plastic resin in it, no rubber taste.
Only a consideration if you don't like the taste of rubber---maybe that goes away after awhile, I'm not sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,539 Posts
The vandoren is equally hard rubber.

The jj wastes more like it due to it not being polished. Polishing forms a bit of a seal. Not a big deal either way but vandoren rubber is just fine. I'd decide based on sound concept...not material.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vandoren is equally hard rubber.

The jj wastes more like it due to it not being polished. Polishing forms a bit of a seal. Not a big deal either way but vandoren rubber is just fine. I'd decide based on sound concept...not material.
Yes, yes - I'd like to hear about the sound differences between the two :)

·
1,264 Posts
The V16 are very similar to a Berg Larsen "chamber 2", almost same outside size/shape.
I've refaced a couple of them and they sure are made of hard rubber, the sandpaper gets brown not white as a plastic mpc.

·
2,620 Posts
I tried them both on tenor; the Jody Jazz was brighter, and generally less interesting sounding than the Vandoren V16, which I liked better. Both were easy to blow. Not sure how this carries over to baritone, though.

·
1,365 Posts
The V16s are excellent on bari.
and on soprano too (not too bad on alto or tenor either).. then again, same could be said for the Jody HR

·
1,365 Posts
Quite a few models within the V16 range. I use a metal V16 for tenor.
I used to play on a metal V16.. beautiful in a controlled environment but always found it tricky to get it to project for louder work

·
Forum Contributor 2017
1,217 Posts
I play a V16 7 on tenor in small venues and for jazz--I get the kind of warm, nuanced tone from it that I like in those cases. I can also push it hard and still maintain a resonant but warm tone. I play a JJ HR 6 on alto--it's on the bright side but I can warm it up at low volumes. It's a solid, reliable piece.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
2,091 Posts
The V16 for tenor is a completely different animal than the baritone version. I have both. The baritone version has a bullet chamber similar to the bigger bergs, and the tenor is more of a link style.

I have tried the Jody Jazz HR mpc too, and it isn't much like the V16 either. I'm not very good at describing mouthpieces. Why don't you try both? I think they are both very good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The V-16 with a Java red can get pretty bright if you want it to, then maybe a rico royal can get you mellow. Pretty versatile and easy-blowing. On tenor anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did you ever make a decision on this? I've been looking at both of these mouthpieces as well, and I was hoping to hear from someone who made a decision on the subject.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you ever make a decision on this? I've been looking at both of these mouthpieces as well, and I was hoping to hear from someone who made a decision on the subject.
Actually I ended up buying a RPC 120B from a forum member after reading so many good reviews.
I really like the sound and how it feels and responds. It's such a great piece!
The 120 is a little too big for me, so I'm looking for a trade with a 110B.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've owned a Jody Jazz hard rubber for tenor and a Vandoren metal mouthpiece for tenor so I'm actually not qualified to comment on either for bari sax or comment at all on Vandoren hard rubber. I will say this though both brands are excellent and extremely well made. As good as any of the boutique brands when it comes to the quality of the materials used to make them and equally important the quality control of each brand.

The only reason I sold the ones I had was because I was on a frenetic tempo at that stage of my mouthpiece quest. Plus, I didn't know enough about mouthpieces to make a rational decision on either brand.

To make things worse I only kept each one a few days plus as I said before I didn't even know what I was looking for.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The V16 B9 is approximately 0.120 ". I actually play and prefer the B7. I have played the Jody Jazz and it is not a bad piece, but the V16 is a great piece. Very versatile, very responsive. I found the Jody Jazz to be darker and just did not seem as responsive and articulate. That said, the Jody Jazz seems more like an old HR Link while the Vandoren clearly seems to be at least inspired by a good old metal Berg. I would think the Jody Jazz would work best at an opening substantially less than 0.120.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts