Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the beginners' forum but got no replies so I hope this is a more appropriate place; basically I'm looking to upgrade the mouthpiece on my Yamaha 62 tenor and I've narrowed it down to either a Jody Jazz hr* or a Phil-Tone Custom Tone Edge - does anyone have any thoughts between these two?

I doubt I'd regret either but since it will have to be a blind buy (due to high shipping costs and a lack of good music stores in my area) I was just looking for a little advice. For reference I normally play a .105"/7* opening with a Rico Royal 3.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: I should have thought to mention in my original post, I'm after a darker sound than what I'm currently getting. Yamahas sound pretty notoriously thin and bright so I'd love to add a little depth and richness - I like a lot of players but Dexter Gordon is probably the one with my very favourite tone. That said, I'm also of the opinion that the major part of one's sound is down to the player so I'm not hoping for any miracles, just a piece that will play comfortably and evenly across the whole range and perhaps nudge me gently towards Dexterous rapture.

Also, I'd love to hear any other suggestions but my financial limit is around $200US, including postage (hence why I haven't considered any metal options).

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'd go with the Phil-tone, only because every Jody Jazz mouthpiece I've tried I really didn't like, and I have a phi-tone meyer for alto and it's superb. But both brands have fans here.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I love my JJ HR 8*. Im assuming you meant Tone-Edge link. Cant comment on that but I sent an STM to phil-tone and got it back recently. Tone-wise the link has a richer, fuller, more complex sound. And its significantly easier play than it was before I sent and sounds way more "alive". However, the jj HR is still easier to play, but mot much. Completely effortless top to bottom. The link is a little resistant, but alot of people like that. Im playing the link mostly. I dont really think you can go weong with either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, so far it's basically confirmed what I thought - neither piece could really be called worse. Unfortunately that doesn't make my decision any easier!

Im assuming you meant Tone-Edge link.
Yes that's what I meant, from the top of the page here. I've heard about the modern Links' consistency issues so a refaced one seems safer. I know there are a few other pieces that probably deserve my attention, the Phil-Tone house brand perhaps, but I've hardly even thought about them yet.

I'm sure Phil is happy to offer both versions of the rubber Link, improved. The middle ground would be the NVS.
Excuse my ignorance chknbon, what's the NVS?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I've played both, and the JJ was a bit brighter, even though the JJ was an 8* and the Phil-tone was a 7*.

Of course, Phil can brighten or darken it if you want.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a JJ 8 someplace I don't play and a Phil-Tone 8* opened to 9 (.120) that I do play. JJ is just too bright for me. I asked Phil for a smokey mpc and that is exactly what I got. Easy to play, nice color/tone and good pitch control.

K
44 yrs of happy sax

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a JJ HR* for alto and I really like it. But when I tried them on tenor (very recently, as in within the last week) I didn't care for it. And I tried several samples to make sure...and while they were consistent from piece to piece, they just didn't do it for for me. Likewise with the Links although they were no where's near as consistent. I didn't have the opportunity to try a Phil-tone so I have no input to give on that front. I landed on a Vandoren V16 T8 and it works for me. Like the JJ HR* they were very consistent from piece to piece. If you like a brighter sound, the JJ may be for you. Your results may be different dependent on the rest of your setup.

Good luck on your search.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
I have had both. The JJ is fine - kind of a middle-everything mouthpiece, not super dark, not super bright, plays well. I think the natural inclination of the Phil-Tone Link would be a bit darker than the JJ, but the Phil-Tone Link is nice in that Phil will set it up to play with the character you ask for (which can be a problem if you don't know what you want - which was my problem). I would give an edge to the Phil-Tone because of the personal attention he will give it (and he does nice work), especially if the prices are similar.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I play both the Phil-Tone Link and his own model. Some of the best mouthpieces I have ever come across..... I agree with "artstove"; the Link is darker than a JJ, but I think the house model from Phil-Tone is a tad brighter than a JJ, more cut in a way. But all three are good allrounders, so it really depends on what sound you want and need! But playing a Yamaha 62 I would perhaps think the better choice would be the Phil-Tone Link.... for a fat and yet cutting tone.

·
Registered
251 Posts
+1 to artstove and Dagvei
Isn't the JJ HR* a medium chamber? I think I read that somewhere but I could be wrong...if I am then just ignore this and move on. :) But if that is the case then I imagine that comparing the JJ to one of Phil's custom pieces would be more apples to apples rather than comparing it directly to one of his Links which has a larger chamber. I just got one of Phil's custom tenor pieces a couple weeks ago (I also got a Phil-Tone alto as well) and I LOVE it (LOVE them both actually). I am going to post a review soon but I've only played one gig and a few rehearsals on it so far and I want to get one more weekend with a better monitoring situation so I can speak from a more knowledgeable position. Phil is also awesome to work with as has been said many times here. I've never bought a mouthpiece from Jody but I emailed back and forth with him and he was very helpful and seemed like a good guy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your help everyone, I've still yet to press 'pay' but I'm leaning towards the Phil Tone Link at the moment. As for the chamber size, I've tried to read into it but don't really know what it means beyond the fact that a larger chamber gives a darker sound. My current piece is a medium chamber, a Rico B7, but unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
505 Posts
+1 to artstove and Dagvei
Isn't the JJ HR* a medium chamber? I think I read that somewhere but I could be wrong...if I am then just ignore this and move on. :) But if that is the case then I imagine that comparing the JJ to one of Phil's custom pieces would be more apples to apples rather than comparing it directly to one of his Links which has a larger chamber. I just got one of Phil's custom tenor pieces a couple weeks ago (I also got a Phil-Tone alto as well) and I LOVE it (LOVE them both actually). I am going to post a review soon but I've only played one gig and a few rehearsals on it so far and I want to get one more weekend with a better monitoring situation so I can speak from a more knowledgeable position. Phil is also awesome to work with as has been said many times here. I've never bought a mouthpiece from Jody but I emailed back and forth with him and he was very helpful and seemed like a good guy.
I think jody says the HR has a slighty smaller chamber. Its probably more like a ML. I doesnt feel or play like a med chamber to me. Id agree with everones opinion of these. Good all-around MPC. Either one you choose will be good. Its really gonna come down to which one you like better based on your setup, etc. And the only way to find out is to try both. I'd flip a coin. And never look back, at least for a few years. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Isn't the JJ HR* a medium chamber?
Kind of medium/large. It is noticeably smaller than the Vandoren V16HR I used for awhile; I didn't directly compare it to the Phil-Tone Link, but if I recall correctly the Link was more similar to the Vandoren (i.e. larger chamber). And yes, generally, the larger chamber gives a darker sound, but the baffle configuration also affects that.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've never played one of the Phil-tone tenors but love his alto Meyer copy. I have played a JJHR 7* for quite a while and do like it. It allows me to blend very well in a section and also is very easy to control. It gets considerably brighter when pushed and some find this makes it too bright for them. So, my comment is that the JJ can be quite bright when you put a large volume of air through it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To anyone still interested: largely on the advice of this forum I did end up choosing the Phil-Tone; particularly I didn't think I'd like the way the JJ gets a lot brighter at high volumes (thanks for mentioning that, Souportwenty).

When I contacted Phil he thought a Tone Edge would be too dark for my taste and suggested instead one of his own pieces or a refaced metal Link NY, which after much agonising I settled on - as a self proclaimed proponent of practice over purchases, I'm a little ashamed to admit it was when he pointed out that Dexter Gordon was playing a metal Link in the clip I sent him that made my mind up. Anyway I'll post when it arrives. Thanks for the discussion, here's hoping I made the right decision.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats! I'm sure Phil can make that STM sing for you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts