Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have different Jody Jazz HR* tenor pieces. Lately I have been playing mainly a new 9*. My first version was a 7*. Maybe it is more than 10 years old. I tried it yesterday after it had been put away for many years. To my surprise it played very different. Of course the tip opening is different. But actually it felt not that different in resistance with the same reed that you would expect. But the general sound was different. Not so focused, but with much more colors. And more warm sounding. I actually fell in love with my first Jody Jazz piece again. I will have to go up to at least Hemke 3.5 or orange Rico 4 though.

But the design has changed a lot. I am a bit surprised that Jody did not call the newer versions a different name. Or at least call them mark II. The chamber seems smaller on the old. There is a big difference in the window size. Both in length and wide. The old one has a shorter window and much wider. The baffle is a bit higher on the new one. You can maybe see it on the image I took.

Does anybody know the history of these pieces. And know when they changed?

Wood Font Fashion accessory Leather Carmine

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I have different Jody Jazz HR* tenor pieces. Lately I have been playing mainly a new 9*. My first version was a 7*. Maybe it is more than 10 years old. I tried it yesterday after it had been put away for many years. To my surprise it played very different. Of course the tip opening is different. But actually it felt not that different in resistance with the same reed that you would expect. But the general sound was different. Not so focused, but with much more colors. And more warm sounding. I actually fell in love with my first Jody Jazz piece again. I will have to go up to at least Hemke 3.5 or orange Rico 4 though.

But the design has changed a lot. I am a bit surprised that Jody did not call the newer versions a different name. Or at least call them mark II. The chamber seems smaller on the old. There is a big difference in the window size. Both in length and wide. The old one has a shorter window and much wider. The baffle is a bit higher on the new one. You can maybe see it on the image I took.

Does anybody know the history of these pieces. And know when they changed?

View attachment 221916
You can probably send Jody an email through his website. Ask the man directly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,396 Posts
I think the original ones were the same BARI blanks many have used and I think they are making their own version of the same thing now. I'm actually surprised more folks haven't noticed this before.

These cores are pretty old and I'm sure there have been changes over time as you would need after molding tens of thousands of them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the original ones were the same BARI blanks many have used and I think they are making their own version of the same thing now. I'm actually surprised more folks haven't noticed this before.

These cores are pretty old and I'm sure there have been changes over time as you would need after molding tens of thousands of them.
Thanks Sebastian. Yes I guess tens of thousands must be right :) Btw, I tried a Barone HR piece some time ago. To me it looked and played exact the same as the JJ HR* - without being an expert....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,396 Posts
They are an industry favorite. Designed by WT I believe, these are a really great design and work well on just about any brand or era of saxophone I've ever tried. Nice resistance and easy to shape your sound without being bright in my opinion. Not everybody agrees but I have to remind people that the sound starts before the mouthpiece!!

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Maybe it's just me or the photo, but the tip rail on the 9* looks a bit "crooked". Higher on the left and lower on the right? Sacks, is it that way in person?

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Maybe it's just me or the photo, but the tip rail on the 9* looks a bit "crooked". Higher on the left and lower on the right? Sacks, is it that way in person?
Me? They are not my mouthpieces, I just commented on the OP. I don't think the picture shows them straight on, hence the illusion you see.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, sorry it is the photo. Taken with a wide angel lens. So a bit distortion ;) Just checked it.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Yes, sorry it is the photo. Taken with a wide angel lens. So a bit distortion ;) Just checked it.
Well that's good! I can't explain the difference between the two, JJ. As others have mentioned, I'm sure the molds need to be changed after making a zillion of them, but looking at your picture again (and it's hard to tell from just one picture), but the floor looks to be different as well. I'd email Jody and ask him about the differences/changes. Let us know if you do and what you hear back.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts