Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am trying to choose between these two mouthpieces. I know they are completely different and the reason I'm leaning slightly towards the jet is because I can already use my selmer soloist in the same way I would use the HR*.
Could I get some unbiased comments from people who have used the JET and/or HR*?
Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've only used a Jody Jazz HR* 5M on alto (Yamaha YAS-23), it was a bit bright compared to a Selmer S80 C*. It plays well, I have to work at it a little more to be in tune across the range of the saxophone. It also take a bit more air and sounds more "breathy" to my ear. I'm still deciding if that's the sound I want- early days for me.

Sorry but I can't speak to the Jody Jet, I have not tried one.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
On alto, they are very different mouthpieces. Your selmer soloist is also going to be very different than the HR*...they are both cheap enough that you can order both and send back one of them.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Dawkes don't have those mouthpieces with the 6M tip opening and sax.co.uk don't do returns on mouthpieces. Looks like I will just have to do a trip to London to try them out in the sax.co.uk store, or maybe go for the 7M opening (which has 1/1000 of an inch smaller opening than my selmer soloist).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just bought a Jet 7. It is bright but not too bright and is screams when I push it with a growl. I tried it and a few other pieces at a local store. It definitely helps to try them, I never end up with what I think I will.

My alto is a buescher true tone. I was previously using a Meyer 6M.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good to hear you have had success, I hope you have a blast with the new Jet.

Like you, where I live I have a limited selection of mouthpieces to physically see/try.

I'm probably heading toward a mouthpiece something like the Take 5 alto from www.mouthpiececafe.com. (only 2 left as I type). I still feel I need more hours under my belt to really know what I'm looking for, so I shall hold off.

Avoiding GAS.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I still feel I need more hours under my belt to really know what I'm looking for, so I shall hold off.
Avoiding GAS.
This makes sense. In the last couple years I got into playing out in the bar scene and I've been playing some different stuff than in high school, and I've learned some new tricks. Like altissimo and growling. How a mouthpiece (or any piece of gear) responds to those tricks makes a lot of difference and I end up with different gear because of it. I've got a Jody Jazz DV NY tenor piece sitting here that was a great choice in high school when I didn't know these tricks and was just playing jazz and concert band. But when I figured out how to growl and do a rock sax solo it wasn't quite right.

Is there something you are trying to do that your current piece isn't working for? Or are you just curious about something different?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know the sort of music I like, it tends to be the Art Pepper, Paul Desmond sound on alto and Stan Getz, and guys like Bob Reynolds on tenor. So as I practice and listen, I favour that sort of sound and expression.

I'm relatively new to the jazz/blues thing, so as you say I'm just curious about something different I guess. Anything that might help me head in that direction, I'm alert to or interested in. All the while trying to avoid GAS! 😊

·
Registered
59 Posts
I meant to say your insight into the difference between high school days and your current experience was very useful, I'll try to keep my lust for shiny things in check until I know what the heck I really am doing!
Sorry, heading a bit OT.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The facing and design on both are very different. But the good thing is that with the Jet, you will get a brighter sound but with the feel of any other rubber mouthpiece

1 - 10 of 10 Posts