Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Jody Jazz hard rubber tenor piece a year ago and for the life of me Ijust couldn't get along with it.
But recently I tried it with a RICO Royal 3 after about 2 hours playing a Vandoren metal piece and I couldn't believe the difference.
It sounded amazing.
On top of that, in the past I could only really play it with a 2.5 RICO brown box and even that took a lot of air.
Any thoughts on why I get a far better sound and find it much less taxing on the lungs with a harder reed?
Mind you it wasn't nearly as impressive or easy to blow with a jazz select 3 m unfilled
And was terrible with la voz medium hard reeds even after a fair bit of shaving.
Generally I find harder reeds require more air, is that the norm?
By the way it's a 7 star opening if that makes a difference.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
Any thoughts on why I get a far better sound and find it much less taxing on the lungs with a harder reed?
Any new mouthpiece you get is worth trying with different reeds to see what works best with that mouthpiece and facing. As for harder reeds requiring more air, then again it would depend on the mouthpiece specs, and not just the tip opening as many people think.

having said all that, I found a JJ hard rubber to very good on any reed I tried with it, but mouthpiece/reed compatibility also involves the subjective element, ie you, as part of the equation

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For every mpc you will have to find the reed that will work best for you with the particular mpc. Sometimes it is another brand/cut/strength than you usually use with other mpcs, sometimes not. Also with some mpcs the tip opening is not what the marking says it should be (seen it with many mpcs). Also the baffle and the facing is having an influence on which reed will work better for you. On the same mpc a harder reed of the same brand and cut will need more air (if the reed you started with was the optimal strength for you) and will deplete your embouchure faster. A too soft reed could close down more easily if you blow harder into it and you can't get all your air into the mpc which could make you feel like there is something wrong with the mpc. Some players also start to bite with too soft reeds (as others do with too hard reeds).
Make sure you can reproduce the effect with other Rico Royal reeds and it wasn't only happening with this one reed. I once had a Link-mpc for alto with a fantastic sound with one particular Rico Royal reed, i never was able to reproduce it with any other reed (whether Rico Royal or not). Reeds are not very consistent regarding strength and quality.

·
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would the changing from a metal piece to a rubber piece have any bearing on this?
The metal piece being slimmer in profile.
Had been playing mostly metals of late and thought maybe that had something to do with it.
The 3m jazz select reeds were my reed of choice for other rubber pieces and perhaps I have a tendency to judge mouthpieces by how they play with these reeds.
Makes me think I will have to do a lot more experimenting with those other not so great prices I have put aside.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
+1. totally!.

Any new mouthpiece you get is worth trying with different reeds to see what works best with that mouthpiece and facing. As for harder reeds requiring more air, then again it would depend on the mouthpiece specs, and not just the tip opening as many people think.

having said all that, I found a JJ hard rubber to very good on any reed I tried with it, but mouthpiece/reed compatibility also involves the subjective element, ie you, as part of the equation

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No the material is not having any influence on this, in my opinion.
Try your old mpcs with many different reeds (brands/cuts/strength), it could be that you will like one of your old ones pretty much with a different reed. But you will need more than one reed to judge whether the reed of this cut and strength is really working with the mpc. Also reeds you have used for some time may not work as good with a different mpc because the reed already warped to the facing of another mpc you played it on. That is why it could be better to use some new reeds which couldn't adapt to the facing of a certain mpc. When you go to a shop take with you some new reeds in different cuts and with different strength.
If you want to know more on what to think about if you go to a shop to check out mpcs look at my post in this thread:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ligature-testing-method&p=1870198#post1870198

·
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't so much mean the material of the mouthpiece as much as the way the mouth forms on a slimmer (metal) piece.
Thought maybe the different way the mouth muscles are used on a slimmer piece might have brought about the change with the rubber one.
I had tried the Jody jazz with the RICO royals before with no success.
It's the fact that the air I am using now is far less ( or seems that way) and the sound if far more
that really surprises me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Artisan.
254 Posts
JodyJazz pieces are designed to as free blowing as possible. Many times this means that a softer reed will feel worse than a harder one. The softer reed basically shuts down versus really vibrating. It is opposite of what you might think but I have helped many people solve their mouthpiece problems by adding resistance versus taking it away.

·
7,356 Posts
I'd say the JJ HR is the most resistant of the JJ mouthpieces at least that I've tried. That being said They're all bright with exception to maybe the JJ DVNY.

MP's bright by nature I find will work better with Brighter reeds.

Hence why I think you've come to the conclusion you have.

FWIW I play a HR 7* with RJS #M Filed reeds and it's the best combo for ME.

Everyone blows a little different. I might just like a little more resistance or the response or w.e.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have a tenor JJ HR which i bought when they came out and still were pretty new to the market. I really like that mpc, though it ain't my main piece. It is not really bright. But all the JJ HR mpcs i've tried in the last years never stood up to the sound of this "old" one, the "newer" ones were all too bright for my taste and very often they were pretty sharp regarding tuning (not my "old" one).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow. Bright??? I have a JJ HR 7* and I would call it dark, dark, dark! On my Martins it comes out beyond smokey dark, more like midnight!!! I have never liked it but after reading this post I will try a harder reed combo on it and see how it responds.

·
7,356 Posts
Wow. Bright??? I have a JJ HR 7* and I would call it dark, dark, dark! On my Martins it comes out beyond smokey dark, more like midnight!!! I have never liked it but after reading this post I will try a harder reed combo on it and see how it responds.
I think I have a tendency to play pretty bright on most anything. It took slightly stiffer reeds to get the piece to lean on the darker side.

My first impressions were definitely bright though.

·
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd certainly describe it as dark sounding with a full sound.
Very nice in the lower end of the horn.
Will definitely do some more experimenting with reed types and strengths as this is proving to
be a very nice sounding mouthpiece, particularly on my Selmer super series and King zephyr.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm liking my tenor JJ HR 7* a lot too, but I only use it when I need to play softer or in a more traditional style. Especially to play quietly with other acoustic instruments. It's naturally about half the volume of my durga 9*, which is my regular piece. I tried the JJ HR a couple times in a rock / RnB setting and the guy recording the rehearsal thought there was something wrong with my channel, because my volume was half of normal. I soon realized I just couldn't cut through like I needed, even by turning up my mike volume. It's a great complement to have available along with the powerful durga and I find it plays very nicely. I've read some here describe it as bright, but certainly not compared to my Durga. Makes me wonder what a really dark mpc would actually play like, but since I don't play much traditional jazz I may never bother to find out. The JJ covers that side for me just fine.

·
7,356 Posts
I'm liking my tenor JJ HR 7* a lot too, but I only use it when I need to play softer or in a more traditional style. Especially to play quietly with other acoustic instruments. It's naturally about half the volume of my durga 9*, which is my regular piece. I tried the JJ HR a couple times in a rock / RnB setting and the guy recording the rehearsal thought there was something wrong with my channel, because my volume was half of normal. I soon realized I just couldn't cut through like I needed, even by turning up my mike volume. It's a great complement to have available along with the powerful durga and I find it plays very nicely. I've read some here describe it as bright, but certainly not compared to my Durga. Makes me wonder what a really dark mpc would actually play like, but since I don't play much traditional jazz I may never bother to find out. The JJ covers that side for me just fine.
Since I Put My link in the drawer I've only had the HR to use for everything. I play a fair amount of blues around town and find the HR gets the job done on both sides of the spectrum. Although I do know what you mean. It's definitely not a cutting piece. It might get brighter when pushed a bit but still not cutting bright.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts