Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a new mouthpiece when I save up enough. The Jody Jazz DV NY looks and sounds very promising, and I tend to lean towards a darker sound. Does anyone have any experience playing on one?

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used to have one on tenor. It is quite a nice piece, however it is very free-blowing, which means that you'll want to pair it with a more resistant horn to make it work. It was fantastic on a Reference 54, but did not have nearly enough resistance on a Barone horn. I also found that there is a "ceiling" to it...as in, I could only take it so loud before it just wouldn't give me any more. Granted, I almost never had a reason to play that loud, but it was there. The good news is that I played 3 of them before I bought mine, and they were almost identical to play, so you can buy one online and be pretty sure that it's good. But as always, play one on your horn before you buy it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
simon196 --

I've been using one for over a year on my Barone Vintage alto. I love the mouthpiece. I use it in a dance band. It is free blowing, but with the darker sound. It's a 6*. I use the Legere Studio Cut reed (2.5) and get what I want. You will find that a cane reed gets you a different sound, but I prefer the Legere. I didn't like the Rovner lig that came with it. If you get Jody's ring ligature, it will scratch the mpc. It works well, but does leave scratches. I am using Theo Wanne's Enlightened lig on it ( the size #6 -- Alto-Sm).

Save your money. If that's what you want ... go for it. I believe you will be pleased -- I was.

I believe I saw them in Sam Ash. You could go to a store and give it a try. That is, if there is a store close enough.

arobi44

·
Registered
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
4,771 Posts
I have Jody Jazz DV NY 5 alto that I'm actually currently looking to sell for 300 (more with lig and stuff), but thats another subject.

As far as playing it, here is what i thought:

Its extremely easy to play and very reed friendly, given that you don't try the extremes. It likes to use reeds that don't try to get a buzzy sound, such as v16s and ZZ's. However, it works amazingly with all classical reeds and javas, java reds, RJS, and various others. In ease of play, I've never had a better mouthpiece. I had a great soft sound and could play to a great fortissimo. It gives off a very dark tone, but not so dark as to make it only suitable for classical playing. It has a little standout, which makes it good as a traditional jazz piece. However, I found the piece would just seize up if i tried to push it too far. Meaning I couldn't get it to play as loud and ballsy as I wanted for some of the things I was getting into. However, they make other pieces for that and this was not designed for that. I switched to the drake because it offers the versatility I sought from this one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
When I tried it it was not my cup of tea. I fin Jody's pieces very one dimensional sounding. It does what it's designed to do and nothing more. And I have to gig in various settings: Small groups(Quartet, Quintet), Big Band, various Latin groups, Rn'B horn sections, Top 40 gigs etc... so I can't have one trick ponies that can't even do that trick perfectly. Like multiple people have said about the JJ's on the forum they have a volume limit, not really good when your competing with the everyone.

Eric Falcon(who used to do the hand finishing on the JJ pieces) said Jody liked almost no resistance on his pieces, so this is just a heads up saying you can expect a bigger tip to work for you or use harder reeds to compensate for the resistance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tried JJ DV NY two years ago, as indicated it was a very free blowing mouthpiece.. Recently, I tried the ESP model 8 which has been discontinued but it plays much better for a darker sound with more volume.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
Hey, I am using the Jody Jazz DV NY #6 alto on my YANAGISAWA A992. It is indeed free blowing with an ounce of resistance, leaning closer to the vintage "dark" tone that I am after.
I agree with some of the folks that there is a limit to pushing this mouthpiece, especially for rock gigs.
I would use this with a Rovner Mk III ligature with VANDOREN Blue box #2.5 (dropped from strength #3 and above).
if there is a chance, test the mouthpiece. JJ are good mouthpieces but there are also other good mpc around. try as many as possible, before you need to decide.

·
SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,287 Posts
When I tried it it was not my cup of tea. I fin Jody's pieces very one dimensional sounding. It does what it's designed to do and nothing more. And I have to gig in various settings: Small groups(Quartet, Quintet), Big Band, various Latin groups, Rn'B horn sections, Top 40 gigs etc... so I can't have one trick ponies that can't even do that trick perfectly. Like multiple people have said about the JJ's on the forum they have a volume limit, not really good when your competing with the everyone.

Eric Falcon(who used to do the hand finishing on the JJ pieces) said Jody liked almost no resistance on his pieces, so this is just a heads up saying you can expect a bigger tip to work for you or use harder reeds to compensate for the resistance.
I have a regular DV (non-NY) on my 1937 Conn 10M, and actually find it to be quite versatile. It will foo-foo a bit if you play it gently, but get edgy if you push it hard. Works well for small combo, big band, and all the rock/R&B/Jazz/Funk/pop/Disco stuff I play with the wedding bands.

The DVNY is a different story, I'm sure. I have also heard you really can't push it much. Probably not my cup of tea.

But I did want to say that the DV has multiple faces depending on how you play it.

Steve

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I play both the NY and the regular DV on both alto and tenor. The NY has no baffle so it is not a power piece. Lead alto in a big band or small jazz ensembles are its strengths. I prefer it for both. Very rich sound, more resistance than the DV. Intonation is great and the pitch is still very flexible.

If I was doing a rock gig I would prefer the DV. The DV is powerful and adds an edge the helps cut through the amplified intruments. You can play the DV with no edge at lower volumes, but if you push it, it is hard to play without the edge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
I tried JJ DV NY two years ago, as indicated it was a very free blowing mouthpiece.. Recently, I tried the ESP model 8 which has been discontinued but it plays much better for a darker sound with more volume.
+1. I played DV, DV NY and ESP and I found the ESP is the best. I found the DVs (both DV and DV NY) to be thin sounding mouthpieces, even being a dark mouthpiece, the NY sounds thinner than the ESP. You can get an ESP for around the DVs half price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts