Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here experienced problems with intonation in the high register using a Jody Jazz DV? I picked one of these up when I started playing again - my last tenor mp was a Guardala Studio, and when I was looking for a replacement the DV was the only piece out of many that I tried that had the kind of brilliance and projection that my Studio had.

I did have trouble controlling it at first, but I attributed that to the fact that my face just wasn't in shape after many years of not playing. Now, 6 months into playing again and practicing regularly, intonation in the high register (A2 and up) is still way sharp, and I'm killing my face trying to adjust all the time. The tenor is the only horn I'm having this issue with - my alto & soprano chops have come back into shape just fine - and when I switch to another mp (the stock piece that came with the horn), those problems disappear.

Wondering if this is common to the DV, or if it might be the horn/mp combination, or if I may need a different ligature than the Rico H that I got with it - can anyone offer any advice? Would really like to not have to go shopping again...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That is odd because the jody dv mouthpieces on tenor are very well made and the chamber is medium sized. It should not affect your intonation in the upper register or have you playing extremely sharp. First thing to verify is the horn, the upper stack key heights, missing corks and felts. Then get working on overtones to help you open up your throat position on those notes and of course avoid biting in those upper altissimo notes. Good luck, ok.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G

·
Registered
299 Posts
What's your tip opening? I have a DV alto 8 that tunes great at higher volumes, but is difficult to control (intonation, not sound) at lower volumes. When I talked to one of Jody's employees, they told me it had a shorter, freeblowing facing curve, and a harder reed would help with more control. I tried it multiple times, but missed the response and edge of softer reeds. Perhaps a smaller tip would have helped, but I didn't feel like shelling out another $400.

I finally decided on a more tame mouthpiece that I could brighten up when I want.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's your tip opening? I have a DV alto 8 that tunes great at higher volumes, but is difficult to control (intonation, not sound) at lower volumes. When I talked to one of Jody's employees, they told me it had a shorter, freeblowing facing curve, and a harder reed would help with more control. I tried it multiple times, but missed the response and edge of softer reeds. Perhaps a smaller tip would have helped, but I didn't feel like shelling out another $400.

I finally decided on a more tame mouthpiece that I could brighten up when I want.
It's a 7* - I actually wanted an 8 or 8* (more in line with the Studio), but the shop only had the 7* so I bought it figuring I'd adapt to the smaller tip. After a month or so I emailed JJ, and they suggested a harder reed, which I tried (went from Java 3 to 3.5). It reduced the chirping I had been experiencing but did nothing for the intonation issues.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is odd because the jody dv mouthpieces on tenor are very well made and the chamber is medium sized. It should not affect your intonation in the upper register or have you playing extremely sharp. First thing to verify is the horn, the upper stack key heights, missing corks and felts. Then get working on overtones to help you open up your throat position on those notes and of course avoid biting in those upper altissimo notes. Good luck, ok.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G
Horn seems OK - has not been adjusted at all between the Guardala and DV, and the problem does not occur on my other 'piece. I was biting a lot at first, but as my facial muscles have come back into shape I have been doing this less. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts