Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Yamaha 82Z Alto, Yanagisawa 990 Tenor, Singers Day SBDS-2001 Bari, Jean Baptiste JB-65/L Soprano
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thrilled with the JJ DV CHI mouthpiece. Tried and bought the 7* tip opening and it is exactly the sound I was hoping for. It is a very free blowing mouthpiece, has good punch and edge to the tone, but without being too bright. Compared to my HR* it is far more free blowing, a few shades brighter but less so than the DV, and LOUD. I'd estimate it's 60-80% more volume for the same amount of effort. It's loud but not harsh and really allows a huge dynamic range compared to the HR* from buttery subtone to blasting fortissimo without compromising control. It also plays very easily in the low end and altissimo. The build quality is very good and despite being used, the plating shows no chipping or wear spots. I've been a fan of JJ mouthpieces since about 2007 (have no affiliation with them) and have slowly transitioned to using them exclusively on every horn but Bari (love my old metal Berg), of the probably 8-10 mouthpieces I've tried from them all have been great quality and the consistency is exceptional which is a big change from my old experiences with various Meyers, Otto Links, etc. that had a lot of manufacturing variability requiring a lot of trial and returns to get a really good one. I didn't care for the included D'Addario H ligature, which I found to not hold the reed very well unless really cranked down. If one is looking for a more contemporary metal mouthpiece that has a lot of edge but is not super bright and allows for plenty of volume in a band, I highly recommend giving the CHI a try.

Registered
Yeah this is pretty much the same reason I've been playing the JJ DV Chi on tenor for the last 10 years. It happens to match up really well with my Barone tenor and for me is the best "middle ground" piece I've found. I tried the regular DV for a while for rock and funk gigs but found it too bright and harsh.

I do play the DV on bari - also for rock and funk gigs, and really like combination of volume, cut, and fullness I get from it on bari.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
I love the JJ DV Chi - about 7 years ago I spent an afternoon at Sam Ash comparing mouthpieces and for me, the flexible jazz tone blew away Wanne pieces and some other expensive pieces. I ended up buying one.

However, I found it to be very reed picky and very picky about how the reed is lined up on piece...also it would squeak. So it's not perfect for me, but nonetheless, pretty great.

Reactions: J-Moen

TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
I love the JJ DV Chi - about 7 years ago I spent an afternoon at Sam Ash comparing mouthpieces and for me, the flexible jazz tone blew away Wanne pieces and some other expensive pieces. I ended up buying one.

However, I found it to be very reed picky and very picky about how the reed is lined up on piece...also it would squeak. So it's not perfect for me, but nonetheless, pretty great.
This was my experience exactly. The reed pickiness and alignment was a constant struggle, so I moved on from it. If it hadn't been for those issues, I'd still be playing mine - wonderful tone, great pieces with a ton of flexibility and power when you need it.

Registered
I've not had squeaking issues but I think the design with such narrow rails and extended window results in a piece that is going to be fussy about reeds especially when they begin to swell and warp a little. I use a two screw metal Yani tenor lig on mine and I believe that helps. IMO the ring ligatures are terrible and the Rico H lig only marginally better. I wish Jody would start sending his pieces out with or at least offer as an upgrade correctly fit high quality two-screw ligs similar to what Ishimori is making.

TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
I've not had squeaking issues but I think the design with such narrow rails and extended window results in a piece that is going to be fussy about reeds especially when they begin to swell and warp a little. I use a two screw metal Yani tenor lig on mine and I believe that helps. IMO the ring ligatures are terrible and the Rico H lig only marginally better. I wish Jody would start sending his pieces out with or at least offer as an upgrade correctly fit high quality two-screw ligs similar to what Ishimori is making.
Good point - I had a ring ligature with mine, and attempted to use a no name metal 2 screw that fit better, but not great. I now have an Ishimori, and I bet that would work perfect on this piece if you have one. I think a good fitting lig was the most important piece I was missing - but finding a good reed was also a challenge, since at that time I was primarily using synthetics and the occasional Rigotti Gold

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
The ring lig works perfectly with a Legere - at least it does for me - on both alto and tenor. Jody sent me both the CHI and the DV. I ended up keeping the DV after a week or two of playing both, but only because it worked better for me on altissimo. It was a hard decision. In hindsight that may not have been the best decision. I probably only play one altissimo note for every 200 or more notes in the standard range of the instrument. All that being said - I鈥檓 really happy with the DV. Occasionally I play a STM on tenor and a Drake on alto, but not often. In both cases it鈥檚 only to keep from being too loud on acoustic sets.

Distinguished SOTW Member
Yeah I鈥檓 not down with $600+ mouthpieces that are reed picky and prone to squeaking. Say what you will about Wanne pieces but they don鈥檛 do that.

Registered
Yamaha 82Z Alto, Yanagisawa 990 Tenor, Singers Day SBDS-2001 Bari, Jean Baptiste JB-65/L Soprano
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did notice that it has a slight tendency to squeak occasionally if the reed is a little too soft. I read somewhere that Jody recommended considering going up a level in hardness for the same tip opening over the other mouthpieces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts