Sax on the Web Forum banner

Jody Jazz DV and reeds

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Wailin' 
Keep trying different brands...

I've been classically trained. I've been taught this whole procedure to ready my reeds to play... the soaking, playing, trimming, soaking, sanding, blah, blah, blah...

Screw all that. I open a box, slap on a reed and if I can't play well with it, I throw away the reed. In all honesty, though, I rarely ever find a reed that isn't playable.

As far as the DV goes, Jody also recommended the RJS for me. I've been playing the V16s for as long as they've been available. The RJS was initially a "better match for the DV," but I realized that the more I played it, the less important the reed brand/strength. I'm now back to V16 2.5 or 3's(depending on the volume of the gig). I am a firm believer that as long as the mouthpiece is free blowing for you, it's only a matter of some hard earned practice. That being said, if the reed is "chirping" try both a softer and a harder reed. But, give your "trial" a little time. Don't make the mistake of judging a reed based on a few hours of play- sometimes you just need to get acclamated to the change...

Also- if you haven't yet tried it, give some bass clarinet reeds a whirl. It really makes a difference in the fullness of your sound. I don't use them often, but for certain gigs, the bass clarinet reeds on my tenor DV sound fantastic. Tony Campise got me on that kick...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.