Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anybody play a Jody Jazz on the Bari ? I´m looking for a loud fat sound.
thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes, I do. I just made a video of me playing a P. Mauriat PMB300UL with a Jody Jazz Classic 7. I will post the video tomorrow, I will include a link here. I'm still traveling home from a trade show.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I do. I don't much like it. I'll be making a change soon. The JJ made a great power piece for tenor, but I didn't get the same results on Bari. I would consider selling you mine if you decide it's the way you want to go. It's a 7

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I play the classic #7 with the baffle with a 1 1/2 Fibracell reed. The cut "Angel Eyes" on my myspace site is this set up. I have since switched to a #2 and Pete Thomas' PPT piece. I like both. The classic's sound is a little more focused to my ears.

www.myspace.com/groovusband

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I play an ESP 8 on bari. I really like it. The sound is its free blowing, punchy enough, and still sits nice and thick when it goes through the mic and the PA.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
I never have good luck with JJ mouthpiece. I have an old classic #9 that was very stuffy, I send it to Merlin William for checking it, the facing was not good but also not the good size. Recently I try a DV: unplayable. Quality control?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I play an ESP 8 as well, for about 3 years now. I play mainly tenor, but this mouthpiece works really nice for me.
I have played a Vandoren B75 and STM 8 before, but this plays way better. It's suited for a variety of styles and it's got a warm and punchy sound, when needed.
I think i need to check out the Vandoren B9 and jody jazz DV NY, those are mouthpieces that might work as well for me, never had any luck with high baffled pieces...

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
If you find a DV unplayable, I would say it is not due to quality control. They are made very consitently and have nice free-blowing facings on them. However, players often have a problem adjusting to the duck-bill design and the high baffle.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
If you find a DV unplayable, I would say it is not due to quality control. They are made very consitently and have nice free-blowing facings on them. However, players often have a problem adjusting to the duck-bill design and the high baffle.
I hope so at this price! maybe you'r right, very high baffle are not my first preference even if I play a Lamberson 6DD alto, on tenor and bari berg metal I play the #2 chamber, I supose those are not high baffle.... I have enough experience to play high baflled piece, the DV I have try, skeak terribly.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I found play-testing DV and DVNY for tenor and now having bought and played a DVNY bari piece for several weeks that these DV's are very free-blowing and I need a much firmer reed with them. Size for size (tip opening) they blow much easier than most mouthpieces. If your playing style is to push a lot of air through the horn and your reed is too soft it will just slam shut and shriek. Some folks like this free- blowing nature (I do), and Jody makes no bones about that being what he set out to do- make a piece that blows realllly easy. But some guys, especially those who have been playing for a while like to have more resistance to push against and these DV's really don't have that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On his site, Jody suggests using a harder reed or more open tip than what you are used on an other mouthpiece when playing the DV/DV NY.
I have a tenor DV NY 9* i played for a while and i had to move up a little more than a 1/2 in reed strength in comparison with the stm i was playing before to get the most out of the mouthpiece.
That's how free-blowing they are.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
i played for a while and i had to move up a little more than a 1/2 in reed strength in comparison with the stm i was playing before to get the most out of the mouthpiece.
That's how free-blowing they are.
My experience has been about the same.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Hi, your setup works great but I prefer on Bari a much more fat and deep sound. Maybe it is only due to the recording quality.
All the best,

Stan
Huh? Sounded pretty phat to me.:scratch:......

·
Registered
120 Posts
...for me too.
Had this mpc tested also...my sound was by far not so good, trahansax.
Ok..now I know... it must have been the sax ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts