Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing at a wedding deep in the heart of UltraUltra Orthodox Jewish Brooklyn, some wise guys manage get away with playing secular music. ENJOY!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Very nice, sweet playing over the vamp at the end there... very cool you were able to work some Jobim in the setlist!

shawn

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Nice playing. Good tone and note choices. Only critical comment is that your approach is very rhythmic (staccato). IMHO the Brazilian sound when playing melody needs to be more fluid (legato). The pianist gets this in his solo, and the piano is much more a rhythm instrument. I'd love to hear you play this more like you'd be singing it.

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but you should hear Paquito and Ralph Moore on the Return to Ipanema CD, with Claudio Roditi, Portinho, Danilo Perez, and other monsters. Its Heavy.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Thanks, but you should hear Paquito and Ralph Moore on the Return to Ipanema CD, with Claudio Roditi, Portinho, Danilo Perez, and other monsters. Its Heavy.
Although the return to Ipanema album's same cut also seems somewhat rhythmic they are taking it a much faster pace. Even within that there is a singing quality to the delivery.

Was meant as positive constructive criticism, not a put down. Your playing in every other way is very good, just suggesting something that IMHO would improve this. Maybe you get this, maybe you don't. Most on this forum are not top pros (maybe you think you are?), so most of us appreciate constructive criticism. You can play whatever you want in any way you want and take in or reject opinions offered. Defensiveness simply says I'm not listening.

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although the return to Ipanema album's same cut also seems somewhat rhythmic they are taking it a much faster pace. Even within that there is a singing quality to the delivery.

Was meant as positive constructive criticism, not a put down. Your playing in every other way is very good, just suggesting something that IMHO would improve this. Maybe you get this, maybe you don't. Most on this forum are not top pros (maybe you think you are?), so most of us appreciate constructive criticism. You can play whatever you want in any way you want and take in or reject opinions offered. Defensiveness simply says I'm not listening.
You know I did not even see your comment when I posted that post referring to Return to Ipanema recording, which I love. I appreciate constructive criticism, I am a working musician, trying to grow and learn and share like everyone else around here, and no I do not see myself as a "top pro", and am thankful to have the gigs I have, however I do feel that I have evolved some modest degree of self awareness. That being said, I think its clear based on this post that you are the one getting defensive. Just please relax. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
What would I have to be defensive about? I'm happy with your explination of a crossed post. Seems that you are also happy with your "degree of self awareness" so don't want/need the compliment or comments offered. Fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Playing at a wedding deep in the heart of UltraUltra Orthodox Jewish Brooklyn, some wise guys manage get away with playing secular music. ENJOY!

As long as it's in D minor and "lebedich" pretty much anything is fair game at a typical Orthodox Jewish Wedding in Brooklyn these days.

By the way, you're really getting a nice, rich sound on that setup. Sometimes the quest for volume at these jobs makes for too many sacrifices in every other facet of one's playing. Good to hear you!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't know if it's just me but i think the sax player is articulating very poorly, to strong and staccato... also the groove is strange... to square... articulation is also odd... of course besides all this it's a good session from you all, no comments about that. Bossa nova has a different character not easy to understand at first.

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CrazyRon:

As long as it's in D minor and "lebedich" pretty much anything is fair game at a typical Orthodox Jewish Wedding in Brooklyn these days.

By the way, you're really getting a nice, rich sound on that setup. Sometimes the quest for volume at these jobs makes for too many sacrifices in every other facet of one's playing. Good to hear you!

SaxTMan:
I don't know if it's just me but i think the sax player is articulating very poorly, to strong and staccato... also the groove is strange... to square... articulation is also odd... of course besides all this it's a good session from you all, no comments about that. Bossa nova has a different character not easy to understand at first.

Hey Thanks for chiming in Ron! Steve Bleyfus says hi!

And SaxTMan, thanks very much for the feedbak. Il try realy hard to not articulate porly, and beter next time, and I wil tel the rhythm section that if their grove is strange and way to (SIC) square next time I wil dock there pay![rolleyes]

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
The band is quite tight and the playing is excellent. Tell me what book you use for the Ultra orthodox charts? I have opportunities for the same sort of gigs in Oklahoma City and Dallas and curious as to what you NY guyz are using.

B

·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The band is quite tight and the playing is excellent. Tell me what book you use for the Ultra orthodox charts? I have opportunities for the same sort of gigs in Oklahoma City and Dallas and curious as to what you NY guyz are using.

B
Hey thanks B!
WE usually don't use books, but if you go to www.anotableidea.com you will find the books that have the Orthodox stuff in them.

In all seriousness, those two guys I'm playing with are absolute total monsters, just stunning level of musicianship. The keyboard is Ruslan Agababayev, affectionately known as "Rambam." He is an Azerbaijani Jew, know as a "Mountain Jew"... Google it and you will learn what that means. He is a genius, incredible conservatory trained classical pianist and absolute monster jazz musician too. Then there is Eran Asias on drums. From Jafo, Israel. He works with Patty Smythe, Julian Lennon among others. He may be the best drummer I know, and that includes a lot verrry heavy cats... so to get back to what SaxTman said before, say what you want about me its fine, but the groove being "strange" and "square," ??? Buddy, you could not be more hopelessly wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts