Distinguished SOTW Member
19,061 Posts
Re: Jao Gilberto

R.I.P.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,319 Posts
Re: Jao Gilberto

Truly a great artist. He has given much joy through his music and he made the world a better place through his presence.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,409 Posts
I don’t normally participate to the in memoriam but in this case I would like to add here the salute to the greats of Samba & Bossa, as it was sung by Pierre Barouh ( he himself among those who are no longer singing here with us ) in the Vinicious de Moraes/Baden Powell song Samba da Bençao

As Vinicius de Moraes himself wrote “ I think that the samba is a form of prayer”

“To sing a samba without sadness is to love a woman who has nothing but her beauty.”
So said Vinicius de Moraes, poet and diplomat, author of this song and, as he calls himself, the blackest white man in Brazil. I, who am perhaps the most Brazilian Frenchman in France, would like to speak to you of my love for samba, like a lover telling everyone of his love except the woman he loves.

There are some for whom samba is a code
Those who treat her as nothing but a mode
Those who profit from samba without love
My love for her’s led me ’round the globe
In search of her vagabond abodes
Today she’s the deepest one can find
So I’ll sing the samba for mankind

João Gilberto, Carlos Lyra, Dorival Caime, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Vinicuis de Moraes. Baden Powell who together created this song and many others, I salute you. Tonight I raise my glass to you in gratitude for everything you helped me discover, you who made the samba what she is. Saravah....
Pixinginha, Noel Rosa, Dolores Duran, Cyro Monteiro,
to all of you. And for those who are coming, Edu Lobo, and the other dear friends so close to my heart tonight, Baden of course, Ico, Oswaldo, Luigi, Oscar, Nicolino, Milton. Saravah… To all of you my friends who invented a word I can never say without emotion, a word that stirs people and makes them sing, arms raised to the sky, SARAVAH!...”

A version which I’ve deeply loved all my life.

Saravah!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts