Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'll be there! Who is with me!?

Such an excellent repertoire for the competition as well. My rounds will be as follows:

Round 1
CPE Bach: Sonata in A mol for solo Flute
Alla: Digital

Round 2
Schmitt: Legend
Denisov: Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Band

Round 3
Tomasi: Concerto

I intend to play the entire competition from memory, but Denisov II is holding me back at the moment... Why is this piece so easy!??! :)

Steve P

·
Registered
471 Posts
I hope for the best Stephen!
Great repertoire!

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Steve P said:
Denisov: Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Band
Is this something of Denisov's newly unearthed? If not, who transcribed it for band?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha! Well Drakesaxprof, it was actually a slip of the mind. However, I do have a pretty awesome recording of Bornkamp playing the Denisov with Wind Ensemble and String Bass....

Steve P

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Not to prolong the off-topic conversation, but I'd love to hear either of both of those, Steve. You know where to find me. Too bad I'm way past the age limits for competitions...
JR

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
From that picture, it looks like you're not old enough!

Angel

·
Distinguished Member
57 Posts
Sadly I can't make this one :( Plane tickets from Paris to Thailand would take up a huge chunk of my fulbright money, and I want to be able to come home to perform at NASA this year. And I might have to come home for grad school auditions (again, ugh)(Why didn't I defer somewhere?!)...

And if I can only pick one, I'd rather go to Thailand for WSC 09 than this competition.

I hate when money makes me not do things I should be doing!

Good luck though Steve! I know Joel Diegert and Sean Patayanikorn are going from BG... Who else from Indiana is going?

·
Distinguished Member
57 Posts
P.S. From reading the rules I remember that the first round is performed behind a curtain and people will be indentified by number only or something like this...

Why play the first round by memory?

Edit: Found it in the rules:

Article 5. - The first eliminatory round will be performed anonymously
behind a curtain; each candidate is identified by number only.
The other rounds will be open to the public.

·
Registered
471 Posts
having to learn "Digital" by memory would be a pain Stephen(have you done it yet?)

·
Distinguished Member
637 Posts
I know for me, if I memorize a piece... not exactly for competition purposes, but just for memorization purposes.... I feel as if I perform the piece better and I am much more focused on every aspect of the piece. Then again, for a competition of this magnitute, I would only do anything memorized if I was 100% sure that I would not have any memory slips.

I wish they had an ESPN-M (M for music!) and they televised these competitions so I could watch them from my TV at home! heheheh

Perhaps I'll do one of these competitions if, when, I ever change setups and before I age out.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David W.
Aww man. I was looking forward to hitting up Bangkok with you! Too bad. :(

Regarding memorization, for me it is the same as Dannel. I feel more comfortable when I know that it is already in my mind. I have a photographic memory (so much so I can see my own Pencil markings...), so that is helpful, but its still not perfect all the time.

But, given that the first round is behind a curtain, I may or may not. My big issue for the first round is music stands. Bach, I only need one. Digital, I would need three. Time is an issue, so doing it from memory insures that I will make it through all of both pieces. I have already memorized Digital, so thats in the bag.

Dannel. Don't change equipment man. I love your sound. Also, when I saw Chris Condon play in Belgium last year, his playing was one of the few that actually carried in that rediculously dead hall!

People from IU attending: Stacy Wilson, Dana Booher, Stephen Page (thats me!) and Yoko Iragashi. Honorary Guest IU Saxophonist, Nate Bogert (Ball State U.)

Steve P

·
Distinguished Member
637 Posts
Wow, IU should just send over a private jet! The best of luck to all of you to bring the gold (sax) medal back to the states!

My equipment stuff is a discussion meant to be had in person lol. Thanks for the kind words though <3

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Dannel, you could be a serious contender in this competition -- the equipment/pedigree bias is just now starting to go away enough for it to be not a waste of time for you.

A word of warning to all, though. In masterclasses I've seen, Londeix is extremely tough on those playing the repertoire which he knows intimately -- written for him or no.

Another word of warning. For those of you going to Bangkok for Londeix Competition, keep an eye out for Gao Xin -- an extremely gifted Chinese saxophonist studying currently in Pittsburgh, PA. If you find him, introduce yourself and say that Angel sent you to have a good time with him. Xin is a really cool guy -- y'all have fun!!

Angel

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Angel,
You are right. I have played for Londeix, and it was one of the most frightening experiences of my life. Here this little man stands before me, yelling in French... Bill Street translating rapidly while interjecting 'blah blah blah It's OK blah blah He's just blah blah Excited to work with you blah blah'. I think he saw the look of terror in my eyes! :)

Ill keep an eye out for Gao.

Steve P

·
Distinguished Member
57 Posts
I'm sure you'll be able to get whatever stands you need... and I think a lot of people will probably get cut off time-wise, just like everyone did in Dinant...

I understand how memorizing helps in learning and performing a piece... and usually by the time I feel really good about performing a piece, it is not far from memorized already.... I guess for a competition I am just less of a risk taker... I would probably perform behind the screen avec music, but that's just me.

Either way, good luck! I wish I could be there! Has the jury been announced yet?

·
Distinguished Member
57 Posts
A. Smith... if you're stopping in Paris at all let me know! I'm always up for meeting more saxophonists!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Daivd-

Avec. I see you're learning some French while you are there :)

Im not sure about being cut of... 20 minutes is a lot of time. I think I will be under the wire but a few minutes. I should be right around 16 or so.

Good times. I look forward to meeting you A.Smith!
Steve P

1 - 20 of 101 Posts