Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys who play this piece (maybe the regular DV as well) are using in terms of reeds. I've only had it for about a week so I'm still getting used to it but I've found the palm key notes get a little "chirppy" on me with the RJSs I've been playing. I've tried 2H,3S & 3M as well as a few different Vandorens. So far an old Vandoren ZZ #3 has worked the best for me. So what do you guys like?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I typically prefer RJS's on everything but liked the ZZ's more on the CHI. I was playing a ZZ 3.5 on the CHI though an RJS 3M worked too. I'll say this though, I didn't like that ring ligature and used either just a Rovner Dark or an Olegature instead.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found the same thing Keith, for me the V16 gave me a more even upper register

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi KeithL. I've been playing the gold DV for about 3 years. Whatever reed you go with do yourself a favor and try the Selmer 2 screw ligature. The Rovner will stifle the true sound and response making intonation a chore. As far as reeds I finally settled on Vandoren Java red box 2 1/2. They give the fullest sound and best response. Now not every reed will sound great and this is especially true with the DV. I tried the CHI DV for a few minutes and decided I'll stay with the gold DV. However the CHI seemed to have as much power as the gold one. In all fairness I only played it for 3 minutes.That Semer ligature I believe is called the 404. At any rate it's the siverplated one. Do yourself a favor and try it.I tried all kinds of reeds and strengths. I'm talking boxes of brands. After the ligature change I think I could even go with Rico Royals. But for now I'm totally cool with the Java red box.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting that the 4 of you all ended up with a Vandoren reed on this piece. I tried a box of #3 V16s over the weekend but they felt a little stuffy to me. The Chi has such a beautiful lush sound in the lower register with a little buzz or sizzle as you start to push it. I felt like the V16s took some of this away and made the sound much darker. I may get a new box of V16s in 2.5 - the #3s were new old stock -I've had them sitting on my shelf for sometime as they pre-dated Vandoren going to the individually wrapped reeds so they have to be almost 2 years old. I'll also get some red-box Javas as well. I haven't tried that reed before but it's worth a go. The trend that seems to be developing is that the Chi likes a reed with a little more cane at the tip. Maybe not as much as a traditional Vandoren or Hemke but more than a RJS has.

As far as ligs go - the ring lig is terrible. Soundwise it's fine but IMO it's unusable in a performance setting where you may have to adjust your mouthpiece or intonation or swap a reed out quickly. Frankly it's just too much of a pain in the *****. If the cork on your neck is sized correctly to give you a good snug fit you have to absolutely jack-hammer the ring on the mouthpiece to keep it and the reed from moving all over when you put the mouthpiece on the neck. In addition to the ring I've tried everything else I have around that would fit- Rovner Light, Dark, and Evo, Otto Link STM lig, and a Rico H. I don't have a Selmer 404 but it wouldn't hurt to get one since folks seem to like these on a number of different pieces. So far I've mostly been using the Evo simply because it's the easiest for me to deal with while doing all the reed swapping. I haven't tried the Rico H in combo with the V16s yet so I'll give that a go later today.

Thanks Again

Keith

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi again Keith. I almost bought the Rico H but I held out for the Selmer. I see that Jody ships his mouthpieces with the Rico now.

I guess he figured it out about the Rovner.

You're right about that overpriced giant wedding band Jody calls a ligature. I looked at it in a store. I don't get it.

I got a Selmer ligature for around $29 in the Valley. I could have got it on this side of the mountain but they were going for $50.

I played the V16's for a long time until I heard a recording and to me something was missing .

The red box Java's are stiffer than the green box so the 2 1/2 plays like almost like a 3 green box but darker and fuller. But still bright as you choose to play it.

As I said before to me I get maybe three from a box that I like and usually one that's perfect.

The red box Java's seem more vibrant than the V16. I tried the ZZ's and I just don't hear them.

When I tried reeds I tried everything from a 2 to 3 1/2. I tried Gonzalez and thought they were the answer.

Ironically I had a box of Rico Royal 2's and they sounded great. Only thing is I haven't used them with an ensemble. The 2's are a little soft . I sold a box of 2 1/2's to a friend after I went with the red box Java's. May have to try them again someday just out of curiosity.

I believe I tried every Vandoren in almost every strength and I'm talking boxes not individual reeds so I could make a fair comparison. I tried Rico Jazz Select and LaVoz also in different sizes . I still have a new box of medium hard LaVoz. Don't know what I'm going to do with those 2x4's.

From my own experiences the DV plays better with medium strength reeds like 2 1/2's or even 2's in some brands. The medium reeds ironically with the DV give a fuller sound.

Sometimes reeds , mouthpieces or whatever sound great when you're home practicing by yourself but when you play with a band it's a different story.

I couldn't believe the power I got with the red box reeds and the Selmer ligature.

So now it's just back to the "how many in this box are good routine" which I don't mind at all.

I have a couple of red boxes open and I've been playing out of them since last July.

I just opened a new box last night because my practice reed split after months. I used it in practice sessions too. It's just that the others are so much better.

It was a great reed that I had clipped and was probably gonna last forever.

The weather changed and I don't think I got all the crinkles out and it split or it just wore out.

So what I'm getting at is these red boxes are lasting forever.

I always set aside gig and session reeds anyway. But I still have to hear a great sound when I practice. The sound or tone is where I get ideas from.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I really like the zzs on my jj. Its a nice buzzy sound that can go a little dark and really bright. But about the ring, I use the ring on my dv, but thats because I was tired of searching for a lig that fits. Darn mp is so small, a soprano lig doesnt fit it. THe ring seems to be doing a lot better than the stock rovner and fits my mp well so ill stick with it.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I really like the zzs on my jj. Its a nice buzzy sound that can go a little dark and really bright. But about the ring, I use the ring on my dv, but thats because I was tired of searching for a lig that fits. Darn mp is so small, a soprano lig doesnt fit it. THe ring seems to be doing a lot better than the stock rovner and fits my mp well so ill stick with it.
If you're talking tenor try the Selmer 404 2 screw ligature. Fits like a glove.

If alto then I don't know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts