Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the NAMM show last week, I ran into the JJ Babbitt booth and just a simple inquiry leads to....

"Yes, I think we have a few C-Mel Mouthpieces in our line. Here is my email, send me this inquiry via email and I'll get back to you"

"What kinda money for those MPs?"

"I think ~$50 or so...."

Let's cross our fingers, those guys have been around since 1919......they probably have molds for all kinds of odd MPs from years past. You may think "Vintage" from the 20s like what you find with old Bueschers and Conns when you get them, but be more positive and think "Selmer Balanced" from the mid-40s....they needed a MP with that horn.....Babbitt probably made C-Mel Mouthpieces in a number of varieties for ~50 years in all

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There isn't any info or web presence for those MPs...still looking to see if I can find anything from the past

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have both on order from JJ Babbitt right now, I'm going to test them out and compare to the FAXX and the vintage MPs I have laying around here.

That being said, I use the Buescher MP that came with the TT that I have, I used the Carbon Fiber medium until last weekend when I got a Black Onyx again from Harry Hartmann and Fiberreed at the NAMM show. Either of those two reeds will give your horn an awesome voice, not stuffy at all. The Black Onyx, first impressions from myself and my band-mate Pete are that the Black Onyx is "forgiving" as hell. Notes that have to be finessed seem to flow out of the horn with very little embouchure manipulation.

Technology marches on....

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have both on order from JJ Babbitt right now, I'm going to test them out and compare to the FAXX and the vintage MPs I have laying around here.
HI I have a FAXX branded hard rubber C mel piece. I was told this was manufactured by JJ Babbitt. [who knows]. I actually like it better on my Conn NW1 than anything else I have tried although I have not ponied up for a big $$ piece

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI I have a FAXX branded hard rubber C mel piece. I was told this was manufactured by JJ Babbitt. [who knows]. I actually like it better on my Conn NW1 than anything else I have tried although I have not ponied up for a big $$ piece
I usually keep two FAXX MPs here for the amount of C-Mels I rebuild and sell. When I get the Babbitts, we'll be able to compare for sure.

Like you, I too like the FAXX when I want to 'boom' with the C-Mel, but as I stated, the vintage MPs take way less air and I'm just here in my little work shop, so no need to compete with a drummer or brass horn section! lol...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
I have a suspicion these are Babbitt-made. I recently purchased one for the c-melody I am rebuilding. Uses a tenor reed. I have only tried it mouthpiece-alone, but it seemed ok for my purposes (which are mainly classical). It felt very much like the Caravan tenor mouthpiece.

https://caravanmouthpieces.com/mp/c-tenor-sax.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts