Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
Nothing “thin” about THAT tone. Full, round, and sweet. Beautiful playing and a wonderful sound. Thanks for posting.

And on a crap mouthpiece too.
P.S. What mouthpiece was he playing?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
What "crap" mouthpiece? Halperin sounds great!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What "crap" mouthpiece? Halperin sounds great!
I'd rather not say but trust me, it's crap. I spoke to him about this and he agreed. Jimmy sounds great on anything but it's not his sound I love, it's what he plays. Phil Barone

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
What I love about his playing is that he is boundry-less. Just free as a bird to play whatever comes to mind. LOVE IT.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I love about his playing is that he is boundry-less. Just free as a bird to play whatever comes to mind. LOVE IT.
Yeah, he's a virtuosso with no work at all and no place to live. He has a masters degree in performance and can't do a thing with it. Phil Barone

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
Jimmy sounds great on anything but it's not his sound I love, it's what he plays.
Agreed. Beautiful, long flowing lines. Very melodic and a constant stream of great ideas.

And hey guys, please don't get me started on the current crazy state of affairs or the mods will kick me out of here...

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Interesting but it’s that odd thing with the rhythm section charging along and the guy sounds like he’s in the other room not listening to them.
The same thing I don’t like about the Tristano-Marsh-Konitz stuff.
To each their own.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting but it’s that odd thing with the rhythm section charging along and the guy sounds like he’s in the other room not listening to them.
The same thing I don’t like about the Tristano-Marsh-Konitz stuff.
To each their own.
The Tristano school was amazing and underappreciated. I studied with Sal Mosca, another Tristanoite and it was an amazing experience. Not many people play as well as they did. They truly are improvising, no licks and that's very rare. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I enjoyed this a lot, and like you wrote, it felt like real improv rather than licks and altissimo fireworks. Nice tone too. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I listened clear through once and I am not sure how I feel about his style. I do agree that he doesn't sound like everyone else, and that's really something these days.

I think I will give it a few more listens in different moods before deciding how much I like it.

At any rate, the fact that I want to study and re-listen to something quite different than the usual stereotyped alto styles, in itself says very clearly that he's really got something here. When I grew up you were supposed to develop your own individual sound and style - he's got that - unlike today when the vast majority of players, even name brand ones, sound just like each other.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts